Advice On African Clawed Frog

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

miatiny

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been reading as much as can about the African Clawed Frogs but I still have questions and was wondering if any one with these frogs could answermy questions. A collegue of mine has 2 albino ACF in her classroom. One only has one eye. She has had them for 3 years and they are about 5 inches each. I They live in a small blue critter cage that is probably only 6-7 gallons. She does not want to get them a bigger home as she has no room in the classroom and at home her cats keep trying to at them but she would let me have them.

I have an empty 35 gallon tank with a screen top to put them in but was wondering what the best substrate would be sand or large pebbles. Which is easier to clean and the best for keeping good bacteria.

I was also wondering how often the tank with filtration needs to be cleaned(partial and complete cleaning)

Do they continually grow or does it stop at a certain age. Will these 5 inch Albino ACF grow much larger.

I ant to make sure I can give them a good home before taking them on as I know they can live a long time.

Thank you very much

Sand as it is easy to clean and they can swallow it and it will pass through them.
They won't grow bigger
35 gallon would be a bit of a waste for them imo. The only tankmates you can keep with them are large snails, large plecos, your frogs are fully grown and probably won't like new additions to their lifestyle, even more ACF's The pair only need 15 gallons anyway.

Sand as it is easy to clean and they can swallow it and it will pass through them.
They won't grow bigger
35 gallon would be a bit of a waste for them imo. The only tankmates you can keep with them are large snails, large plecos, your frogs are fully grown and probably won't like new additions to their lifestyle, even more ACF's The pair only need 15 gallons anyway.

thank you very much for the reply. I will not be adding anything but maybe a few guppies to the tank. I only have the 35 gallon tank that is inoccupied but I figured they will not mind a bit of extra space and my son will enjoy wathing them eat just as he enjoys the gecko eating bugs. I will go with the sand:) Are guppies ok for them to eat...

Guppies don't contain much nutrition carnivore pellets should be given just look for catfish pellets with a large amount of protein in also bloodworm is fairly staple for ACFs

Guppies don't contain much nutrition carnivore pellets should be given just look for catfish pellets with a large amount of protein in also bloodworm is fairly staple for ACFs

Frozen bloodworms is all they are being fed right now. I was just looking for other things they could eat and was wondering which fish they can it. Do they like krill, silver sides,... I know some feed them aquatic turtle food and also sinking fish food.

Thank you very much for the info

Indeed they can eat fish but most small fish have very little nutritional value and it develops a risk of adding diseases to the tank.

Most reactions

Back