Advice Needed

Herman17

Reaction score
I am keen to buy either a 60l Biorb or a Fluval Edge tank. I know there are restrictions on numbers of fish etc. for these as I have read up on this and will be keeping the numbers to a minimum. I wanted your opinions on which of the two is the best option. I don't have much space and either of these would be ideal. Do Fluval Edge tanks come any bigger than 23l as this seems quite small? Also which fish live happily together? I know I need to initially start with two hardy fish once the tank has settled, what do you recommend? I'm new to all this and am grateful for any advice or pointers....

Out of the two I would pick the fluval edge. Out of all tanks in existence I would pick neither.
Are you definitely sold on one of those two tanks or is just that you feel they fit the space you have better than anything else you've found?

If the latter is the case then post the surface area you have available and I'll get back to you with some more possibilities.

Imparticular there is the aqua 40 which is a nice tank that doesn't take up much room, looks nice and is relatively cheap for what you get. Plus it holds 28l.

I find the fluval edge and biorbs to be a bit of a rip off with regards to the money you part with and what you get in return.

I would go for the biorb as it is more customisable and I think it has a better filter system also the fluval will only be able to hold a few fish. I think the biorb is a tad expensive for what it is aswell.
Ash

The biorb doesn't have a better filtration system. Of the large number I've seen on here it has consistently prooved to be pretty rubbish as filtration systems go. It restricts the substrate the gravel only. And the surface area on the bottom of the tank isn't big enough for any bottom feeders. Not to mention the poor surface area for gas exchange, but that is something shared with the fluval edge.

I know those tanks aren't very well rated, they look really good and they sound quite easy to maintain (is this the case?). I haven't got my heart set on anything yet and if I can find something as nice but is a better option for the fish I will obviously go for that.

Can I ask why these tanks aren't very well liked? Is the problem when they are overstocked or are they generally not great tanks?

The tank you recomended looks good thanks! I'm tempted to get a slightly bigger one if poss, will let you know space available.

Thanks for your help

I agree they are a bit on the pricey side, but there again, it's something that will be kept for a very long time.

Ta for your opinion!

I had read that about the Fluval Edge tank, but as you say it would be the same with the Biorb oxygen wise.

Please excuse me for sounding ignorant (remember I'm new..) is it essential to have bottom feeders? This was another of my concerns with these tanks.

The easiest tank to maintain is a square/rectangular one with a fully accessible open top.

The reason I personally don't like biorbs is that I don't like the restrictions the filtration system gives (can only use gravel), how much harder the filter is to clean comparable to an internal power filter, smaller surface = lower stocking capacity in relation to it's volume, small access hatch makes scaping/fiddling harder and restricts it more to a 'central' design, there is no 'back'/'safe place' for the fish to go which they will naturally look for even if they are confident and not looking to hide. Also the dimensions limit the fish as you shouldn't really be putting super active fish like danios in it.
Also it distorts the image of the fish which I don't like either. It's also harder to clean as it's a curved surface and because it bulges out it's harder to do stuff in it cause you tend to be stretching all the time (this may just be me as I'm only 5'3".

The reason I dislike the fluval edge is, limited stocking due to small surface area for gas exchange. Have to add a filter as it doesn't come with one as standard which totally negates the whole point of it which is 'wireless' 'no equipment visible' etc. Generally small tank so limited stocking even more (on top of the surface area issue).
The opening restricts maintenance again as it's small. If you ever need to catch fish it's a completely nightmare as they easily out manouvre you.
But overall I easily prefer it to the biorb.

So yeah... if I had to pick one it's the fluval. But there are so many better (from a fish and maintenance point of view) tanks than the two you've listed.

is it essential to have bottom feeders? This was another of my concerns with these tanks.

Not at all :) You definitely don't need bottom feeders. And if you did want scavengers of some description then you could go with shrimp and/or snails in a biorb. But the point I was making was that even if you did want bottom feeders you couldn't realistically have them in a biorb... and there are alot of lovely bottom feeders I would have if I had enough tanks/space! lol.

Out of the two I would pick the fluval edge. Out of all tanks in existence I would pick neither.
Are you definitely sold on one of those two tanks or is just that you feel they fit the space you have better than anything else you've found?

If the latter is the case then post the surface area you have available and I'll get back to you with some more possibilities.

Imparticular there is the aqua 40 which is a nice tank that doesn't take up much room, looks nice and is relatively cheap for what you get. Plus it holds 28l.

I find the fluval edge and biorbs to be a bit of a rip off with regards to the money you part with and what you get in return.

Hi, hope you saw the reply, just getting to grips with this and has gone onto origional question! Another important point is that it must be a closed tank as I have 3 kitties!

Thanks for the advice will search for other alternatives and be back for your views!

I wouldn't ever suggest an open top tank anyways, too much trouble with possible jumpers and evaporation. Plus most kits come with a hood of some description. Some are fully removable... eg. Flual rekord 60 and some are attached and hinged eg. aqua 40 and aqua 60

The easiest tank to maintain is a square/rectangular one with a fully accessible open top.

The reason I personally don't like biorbs is that I don't like the restrictions the filtration system gives (can only use gravel), how much harder the filter is to clean comparable to an internal power filter, smaller surface = lower stocking capacity in relation to it's volume, small access hatch makes scaping/fiddling harder and restricts it more to a 'central' design, there is no 'back'/'safe place' for the fish to go which they will naturally look for even if they are confident and not looking to hide. Also the dimensions limit the fish as you shouldn't really be putting super active fish like danios in it.
Also it distorts the image of the fish which I don't like either. It's also harder to clean as it's a curved surface and because it bulges out it's harder to do stuff in it cause you tend to be stretching all the time (this may just be me as I'm only 5'3".

The reason I dislike the fluval edge is, limited stocking due to small surface area for gas exchange. Have to add a filter as it doesn't come with one as standard which totally negates the whole point of it which is 'wireless' 'no equipment visible' etc. Generally small tank so limited stocking even more (on top of the surface area issue).
The opening restricts maintenance again as it's small. If you ever need to catch fish it's a completely nightmare as they easily out manouvre you.
But overall I easily prefer it to the biorb.

So yeah... if I had to pick one it's the fluval. But there are so many better (from a fish and maintenance point of view) tanks than the two you've listed.

is it essential to have bottom feeders? This was another of my concerns with these tanks.

Not at all :) You definitely don't need bottom feeders. And if you did want scavengers of some description then you could go with shrimp and/or snails in a biorb. But the point I was making was that even if you did want bottom feeders you couldn't realistically have them in a biorb... and there are alot of lovely bottom feeders I would have if I had enough tanks/space! lol.

Hmmm, much to think about. I totally seee what you're saying and have to say you make your points very well. It seems the only real benefit of these tanks is the visual look and they don't really take into consideration the main points which are healthy happy fish and ease of maintenance. Back to the drawing board......

I'm not saying the dont work as tanks (before the people come along trying to say that I'm an edge/biorb hater). Although I'm not denying them as viable options, I personally feel there are too many drawbacks when taking everything into consideration and there are so many alternatives I would place above them.

Seriously... just give the dimensions of the space you've got and I'll see what I can find. I've found large pets at home stores carry lots of different tanks to give you some ideas if you're ever stuck.

If space is an issue and you want something pretty I'd definitely suggest an arcadia arc tank (looks like it's open top but it isn't). These come in 20l and 35l.
There is the Aqua40 (28l) and Aqua60 (60l)

And there are plenty more... just need to give me the dimensions you have avaialble.

If space is an issue and you want something pretty I'd definitely suggest an arcadia arc tank (looks like it's open top but it isn't).

yep great tanks and far better than either of the two you mentioned.

I'm not saying the dont work as tanks (before the people come along trying to say that I'm an edge/biorb hater). Although I'm not denying them as viable options, I personally feel there are too many drawbacks when taking everything into consideration and there are so many alternatives I would place above them.

Seriously... just give the dimensions of the space you've got and I'll see what I can find. I've found large pets at home stores carry lots of different tanks to give you some ideas if you're ever stuck.

If space is an issue and you want something pretty I'd definitely suggest an arcadia arc tank (looks like it's open top but it isn't). These come in 20l and 35l.
There is the Aqua40 (28l) and Aqua60 (60l)

And there are plenty more... just need to give me the dimensions you have avaialble.

Hi

Dimensions of unit are 40cm x 60cm, height no probs, work your magic!

I've had a quick look at the above and they look really good. I'm looking for something modern/unusual if poss.

IMO the biORBS are horrible, I had one a few years ago and although it looked allright, it was an utter nightmare to clean the filtration system etc, you HAD to pull the undergravel filter up, filling the tank with horrible amounts of gunk, which i'd say isn't great for the fish.

IMO the biORBS are horrible, I had one a few years ago and although it looked allright, it was an utter nightmare to clean the filtration system etc, you HAD to pull the undergravel filter up, filling the tank with horrible amounts of gunk, which i'd say isn't great for the fish.

Thanks for the info, good to get point of view from a previous BiOrb owner! Doesn't sound like a very good buy I have to say. As a beginner it's difficult to know where to start. I've got a limited space, are there any tanks that you would recommend? (the easier to keep the better for a start!). I want to keep a good variety of fish and so think a 30l may be too small, what do you think?

I don't know if this counts as modern/unusual enough for you, but have you considered a hexagon shaped aquarium? You would be able to fit a 10 or 20 USG (~38L and ~75L) Hex aquarium in that space fairly easily, and you would have freedom to choose whatever equipment you wanted to use as well as significantly more space for whatever sort of fish you wanted.

Most reactions

Back