Advice About Bacterial Bloom?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ozgirl_bkk

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently returned from a three week holiday and discovered the person who was supposed to care for my fish turned the power off - all the fish died.:( The filter sponges are located in the cover on top of the tank. They had dried out, but the ceramic discs were still moist and there was a flim of brown sludge (bacteria?) left at the bottom of the filter.

I decided to rebuild the tank by removing the plants that died while I was away. Then I removed the gravel, decorations etc and stored them in a bucket of water siphoned from the tank. I gave the bottom a good vaccum to clean any waste, then I put the gravel, rocks and decorations back in, plus two plants that had survived from earlier. I did not clean the filter, but I did rinse the old sponges in siphoned tank water

I put in new sponges, but placed them under my old sponges just in case some bacteria had survived in there. I added some fish food to help speed the cycle. My ammonia (NH3/NH4) levels over the next few days were 0 (I used a kit with three different dropppers of chemicals - this is the only test kit available in Thailand, where I live, apart from the test strips.) PH, Kh etc were fine.

I then added some 'bacteria in a bottle' bought at my local fish store to try and work out if I actually had a cycle going(it was a local brand - the only type available here. I have not been able to locate bottled ammonia.)

Anyway, after adding the bacteria in a bottle I got a mild white bacterial bloom. My NH3 and NH4 levels are still 0.

My questions are:

Should I continue to add fish food and 'bacteria in a bottle' (although I think I will use a smaller dose)to ensure the tank cycles? Or should I wait till the bloom clears first?

Is it possible that enough good bacteria survived on my gravel, decorations, plants etc to be cycled already?

i have a 120 litre (40 gallon) tank.

Thanks!

not 100% sure but i would of reccomended keeping old water and useing that water 2 cycle tank as im sure its got very high ammonia which would be perfect for a fishless cycle .... as u needed 2 do is turn on filter and wait for ammonia 2 drop.... then do ure big water changes...

correct me please if im wrong

Hi Romanator. I have already chnged the old water...any advice on the bacterial bloom?

Cheers, Gina

I would simply continue to add your ammonia source, the fish food. There is no reason to keep buying bacteria in a bottle. If you got lucky enough to actually get a live culture in such a bottle, the first dose should have you fully cycled long before the 3 weeks you have experienced. If you are like most of us, you added some harmless organics that did you no harm but why repeat it?

I can't believe the person who was supposed to look after your fish did that!!! xx

That is terribly sad, I'm very sorry! :(

Thanks for the commiserations - I was also very shocked when I came home and found all the fish dead (there was no sign of any of them).

I guess some people are just extremely irresponsible. and perhaps will be reincarnated as fish in their next lives.

It is something that we have all experienced at one time or another OzGirl. I once left my tanks in the care of a neighbor and knew, the moment I opened the front door, that it had not gone well. I could smell the rotting fish food as soon as I opened the door.

Most reactions

Back