Adventures In Fishkeeping

asheyna

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, now that it's summer I have time to keep a tank journal. It's my first time keeping a tank, I did a fair bit of reading up on freshwater tanks but I have to say that I'm still learning a TON! The eventual plan is to have a show pair of Apistos (probably Cockatoo) and then some smaller schooling fish.

June 15, 2012

I was given a bunch of stuff for a fishtank (35 gallon). Took it home and spent about 3 hours scrubbing every surface and then rinsing over and over. Got it set up, ran it for a day and then added 4 Cherry Barbs to cycle it. Got a test kit and learned even MORE about the Nitrogen cycle :D

20koh1s.jpg

July 13, 2012

After doing some more reading up on tanks I decided to switch my tank over from gravel to sand. Mostly because I eventually want to add some loaches to the tank. Man was THAT a procedure and a half. Fortunately I had a 10 gallon tank that I'm setting up for my daughter so I kept the Cherry Barbs in there while I was emptying it, removing the gravel and adding the sand.

I adore the way the tank looks now. Next step will be getting a black posterboard for the back, hopefully it will pop more. Sadly, removing the gravel has caused what I hope is a small spike in the Ammonia. With any luck it will cycle out soon so I can start adding other fish!

34fmyko.jpg

The spike resolved itself like an hour later.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 8~ish

July 16, 2012

So I finally found a solution for my desire to have loaches but the problem of a smaller tank. Dwarf Chain Loaches. But then of course, the fun of finding them. Apparently no where online ever ships to Canada (possible exaggeration but it feels like fact). The only LFS I'd discovered up to this point is kind of icky, dimly lit, not clean, total disaster... but even they didn't stock them. The guy at the counter suggested Clown Loaches as "basically the same thing."

After two days of searching online I found a fish store in downtown Vancouver, about an hour and a bit of a drive away. They're called Aquariums West and oh my gosh they are just the most amazing store EVER. It's clean and organized like a big box store, but stocked like a LFS. All the employees are fish tank owners with years of experience and most were customers before becoming employees. Super helpful, friendly and I just adore this store. AAAND, they stock Dwarf Chain Loaches. So last night I drove down and picked up my new fishies. They were even on sale!

The Barbs were a little shocked to discover intruders in their big tank but they quickly learned to share and just leave the Loaches alone now. The Loaches settled very quickly into the new tank, faster than the Barbs did. Took them about an hour and the five of them were shoaling all over the place! Great active little fish, I'm looking forward to watching them grow (but not too much lol)

iyevc7.jpg

good.gif
i miss keeping Loaches.Must get some again at some point.
Quick question, what plants have you got in there?

good.gif
i miss keeping Loaches.Must get some again at some point.
Quick question, what plants have you got in there?

Yeah I love loaches, but it's hard because I want to keep 5-7 of them but the tank is only 35 gal. Dwarf Loaches were like a gift from the fish gods.

Those are actually all fake plants. Once I know a bit more about what I'm doing I plan to aquascape the tank with driftwood, rocks and live plants. Or buy a new tank... whatever comes first XD

It's a 35 gallon, 132L. Decent sized, and free which is the best price!

And thank you. It's my first real tank. In university I had a betta in a little 2 gallon, he lived til I graduated and asked my sister to watch him while I went on vacation :(

Looking good - it looks soo much better with the sand.

I love the loaches, I hope they enjoy it in there.

July 22, 2012

20fygib.jpg

Finally got around to adding the black background, LOVE IT! It's just a piece of posterboard taped to the back of the seams on the back. Yay budget-friendly solutions lol.

21jaw09.png

Even though I feed the Barbs flakes first they still love to come down and help the Loaches finish off the sinking wafer lol.

2d1wi8x.jpg

I really do love my new Loaches. I'm so pleased I was able to find them!

Looking good - it looks soo much better with the sand.

I love the loaches, I hope they enjoy it in there.

Thanks sid. I'm a total sand fan now too. I will probably put it in my daughter's tank as well (not set up yet). Loving the loaches and they seem very happy.

Most reactions

Back