Adventure Into Planted Tanks

Okay heres another update. This one is my fav honestly. One of the best tanks I got going right now.

120 #3 west side.
4x 23W CFLs 26 inches from sand to lights

TxKWlAd.jpg

Still working out the kinks in this one, almost got it where I wont have any algae I hope. Nothing has grown on the plants so that is a huge start plus I still got some red in the plants that are to be red. I need to think about re doing the position of the plants though and move some around....The piece of wood makes it hard to decide where to put my plants though.

Well now its time to try to split my Rotala now. They have gotten rather tall in the 120 #3 west tank.

For now I just tried one stem to see what happens. I clipped about 12 inches off one and replanted the clipped stem now to observe what happens to both stems.

My Val in the 120 #1 East has been sending out good amount of runners recently. I started with 2 bunches, and now I have about 10 in that tank. This is good though, I lack plants in my 75s which need them to help combat the algae in them. Another week and I might be able to take a few bunches out and replant.

Well here is the 120 again. I have had to trim a few time already. Which is great because I am having balance issues in my #2 west tank right now, I think it was the lights to be honest and the lack of plants = disaster. So I have put about 15 stems of Rotella and more to come.

Now I have to figure out how to position the powerhead here. It gets the water movement needed, but kind of an eye sore if you ask me.... out of place. I tried to use a stem of combia ( sp? ) and see how it would look but of course its getting sucked to it.

I have yet again changed the lights.Now we are using LED flood lights. 30W ones... though via the meter they are drawing only 40 something watts together so mhhh... cheap Chinese garbage!

OowuH8B.jpg

Now, for your entertainment, I have one tank that went horribly wrong... badly. Actually this pic today is not a shot of how bad it was even a few days ago.

xzoy1vo.jpg

Yeah, most of the problem I think is the rainbows have a huge appetite and I cant seem to drop enough food in there for them. Heck, they eat guppy fry that I try to put in there to grow out ( I have the males and females in dif tanks, but of course the females can hold male stuff for months and can keep having fry ). I swear they are as dirty as goldfish... and if not I hate to see how dirty those guys are.

I have changed to a daily 10 gallon WC on all tanks. I also dont do ferts one day a week ( friday ) just to try to make sure it all gets used up in with the WC every day. Its great having the plumbing done on the sumps so now all I have to do is flip a switch and open what valve I need, let it drain, turn on the water and easy peasy. It takes me about 40 minutes at most to do all 6 tanks. Every other week new floss gets put into the filter.

One more thing, I have to add I have started to grow fond of snails... pond or ramshorn ones. They seem to get the job done... and are a great indicator of things in the tank. I have added some to the 75 gallon tank above to see what happens.

Now here is #1 west. I am actually happy with this one too, though a bit of algae in it... but I think that might have been the lights, way too much. Upgraded now of course. Add in the livestock in this ( male guppies ) I can see where it might have been harder to find balance in this. Its actually clearing up too. This tank has taken off growth wise.... and in fact after the pic I went in and did a little pick up and move of some of the anubias and stuff.

HgYvYzy.jpg

Well did the plung and got me a gas co2 System. 20 pound tank with dual regulator ( still single stage ) from aquatek. Seems to be okay. Also got a multi splitter so I can run all my tanks off one co2 tank. This has been a chore to say the least.

Good luck with them all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back