Adjusting the filter

basin

Reaction score
We have the tank set up and have had a few fish in for about 2 days. We have 25g tank and one of the filters that hang on the back. How do I adjust the air flow and the water flow regulator-how do I know the best setting?
Thanks!

Doesn't matter what filter... power filters can generally be adjusted. Max most of the time. Min during feeding. Once their 5 minute feeding time is up, back to Max to suck up leftovers. It's just that simple.

on mine is easy, turn knob clockwise and counter clockwise to adjust water/ air come through.

Doesn't matter what kind of filter? Uh not all filters can be adjusted....Maybe hes talking about an external box filter like a penguin bio-wheel. Not all of those kinda filters can be adjusted. But plz correct me if im wrong. Im sorta confused here.

XKrinXerZ said:
Doesn't matter what kind of filter? Uh not all filters can be adjusted....Maybe hes talking about an external box filter like a penguin bio-wall. Not all of those kinda filters can be adjusted. But plz correct me if im wrong. Im sorta confused here.
None of my penguin filters could be adjusted.

You are right, not all filters can be adjusted. Generally its the external ones which have this facility.

The bigger internal fluvals can be adjusted too.

Generally, if it can, its pretty obvious how (knob on top or flow regulator on side).

With regards to the air flow, you need to ensure there is a venturi tube. This pokes out of the filter into the air above, and as the filtered water is rushing past the pressure sucks air in creating bubbles in the water flow.

Generally these can be adjusted with caps or knobs too.

However, all is not lost if this isnt the case, the hole can be covered somewhat so regulate the water/air flow, I dont know what you could use, but it would have to be non toxic (blu-tack?!)

HTH

XKrinXerZ said:
Doesn't matter what kind of filter? Uh not all filters can be adjusted....Maybe hes talking about an external box filter like a penguin bio-wheel. Not all of those kinda filters can be adjusted. But plz correct me if im wrong. Im sorta confused here.
Sounds like a powerfilter to me by OP's description... guessing Hagen or Tetra, both of which can be adjusted... really, it is that simple... I try to not over complicate things.

thecatdidit said:
Doesn't matter what filter... power filters can generally be adjusted. Max most of the time. Min during feeding. Once their 5 minute feeding time is up, back to Max to suck up leftovers. It's just that simple.
it does matter 2 of mine cant be adjusted where as the other 2 can.

ususally there is just a knob on the side of the filter that you turn

Most reactions

Back