Additional stocking for 25 gallons- CPD?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No, it will not be overstocked. I am assuming live plants, even if just floating. And weekly water changes of 50-70%. Nine cories, 12 danios, 9 pencilfish and 9 hatchetfish, just so we are on the same page. If you do the gourami instead of the pencils and hatchets, fiv e of those, and I would look for another upper fish, I'n just leery of combining gourami and other surface fish. Another rasbora that does work with the gourami and the danios is Trigonostigma hengeli, the smallest of the three "Harlequin" rasbora. This fish remains mid-tank, and I have had them in with pygmy gouramis with no issues. A group of 11-12 of these rasboras, with the gourami (5), danios (12) and cories (9).

None of the above is anywhere near close to overstocking. Fish that are compatible, and in decent numbers, have less impact on the biological system than fish that are not.
I have elodea, java fern, Anubias, floating plants, moss balls and java moss and dwarf Sagittaria. I never knew that about compatible fish that’s so interesting. As long as my fish aren’t stressed I can’t wait to increase numbers!

Th
Here's my group of Trigonostigma hengeli, 11 of them, in a 20g tank. These are full grown, I have had them for a year now and I have never known them to get much larger. They do stay together, mid-tank.
those look amazing! I think I’m leaning towards hatchetfish. Being conservative I’d suggest my tank is no less than 85L of “space” when accounting for gravel slight gap of air etc etc so with compatibility I’m sure will be tine. I’ve just been stressed before about overstocking as have had people suggesting before in my 20 gallon that the 9 corys and 6 danio were already overstocked

Th

those look amazing! I think I’m leaning towards hatchetfish. Being conservative I’d suggest my tank is no less than 85L of “space” when accounting for gravel slight gap of air etc etc so with compatibility I’m sure will be tine. I’ve just been stressed before about overstocking as have had people suggesting before in my 20 gallon that the 9 corys and 6 danio were already overstocked

The tank length is the issue. with 70cm instead of 60cm it is different.

Perfect. I think initially I’m going to add 9 hatchet fish and the 6 glowlight danios and see how my tank fares from then! Thanks so much for the help

The tank length is the issue. with 70cm instead of 60cm it is different.
Having done more research I’ve read they require gentle currents. I have a spray bar attached to my filter and am wondering whether this will be too fast for pencilfish or hatchetfish?

Having done more research I’ve read they require gentle currents. I have a spray bar attached to my filter and am wondering whether this will be too fast for pencilfish or hatchetfish?

You can place the spraybar along one of the end walls, and aim the row of holes into that wall. This can be adjusted to increase or decrease the flow from the end, as it slows when spread out. You do want a minimal current for these fish; I use sponge filters in their tanks, but when I had them in my 70g I had a canister with the spray bar as above and it worked well.

You can place the spraybar along one of the end walls, and aim the row of holes into that wall. This can be adjusted to increase or decrease the flow from the end, as it slows when spread out. You do want a minimal current for these fish; I use sponge filters in their tanks, but when I had them in my 70g I had a canister with the spray bar as above and it worked well.
Perfect thank you so much!

Most reactions

Back