Adding Water To Tank

BigAlsTanks

Reaction score
I was wondering instead of adding dechlorinater to a bucket of water if it is safe to let the water sit for 24 hours or so and the chlorine would evaporate. Does anybody do this method or has anybody heard of this?

That works for removing chlorine because it will evaporate, but if your water is also treated with chloramine then you will still have to use a dechlorinator.

I was wondering instead of adding dechlorinater to a bucket of water if it is safe to let the water sit for 24 hours or so and the chlorine would evaporate. Does anybody do this method or has anybody heard of this?

i would ask why? de-chlorinators like Prime, cost fractions of a penny, per litre. and, as someone has pointed out, lock heavy metals away. also cloramine will not "gas off, and most de-chlorinatoer, deal with that too.

false economy. potentially dangerous too.

It's the way we used to do it in the 'old days' when no-one had chloramine added and dechlorinators were hard to get hold of.

But times change; as Raptorrex says, dechlor is so cheap, per litre, especially if you use Prime or a pond one, it's not worth risking the health of your fish (and filter bacteria!) for the sake of the few quid the bottle costs.

i would ask why? de-chlorinators like Prime, cost fractions of a penny, per litre. and, as someone has pointed out, lock heavy metals away. also cloramine will not "gas off, and most de-chlorinatoer, deal with that too.

A simple no would suffice.

I think that answer was clear & informative, what upset you about it?

Tom

Point of order - "no" would not do as:
1) you wouldn't have known which question was being answered ("does anyone do this" or "has anyone hear of this")
2) It would have been wrong as many have heard of it and and I believe that some have done it
3) You wouldn't have got the additional information about heavy metals, cost, ease etc.

:)

Miles

Most reactions

Back