Adding sand to gravel substrate...

Just to continue my tendency of odd thoughts... How about cutting up some nylon panty hose to separate the sand and gravel?
I made some bags to put aqua soil in from my wifes old tights. What a shambles. It worked OK but they reverted to being round sauasages, ie leg shaped, and bulged up to push all the gravel off the top.
However, if you make a sheet from them I think they'll be fine. The problem is though that they really need to be stretched into shape and laid flat so you'll need some sort of framework to make it work.
--------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

@Colin_T
I accept everything else but could you please explain why something like a panty hose, or similar substance, would not work as a barrier between sand and gravel? Mayhaps my logic is wrong but it seems to me that putting a layer of whatever substance between sand and gravel that has a small enough of a weave to prevent the sand filtering down to the lower gravel should work. Where am I wrong?

Also, with a top layer of sand, gunk would be more likely be kept in the sand before getting deep in the substrate. Seems to me that it would make it much easier to vacuum. Also doing vacuums would tend to pull minute sand that got through the "sand/gravel barrier" back to the sand layer.

I'm not saying that you are wrong, I just want further explanation as logic ( from what I see ) would indicate that my thoughts on separation of layers of filtration makes sense. :dunno: I would just like a detailed explanation as to why my thought won't work as, looking logically, it seems that it should work fine.

You can try a barrier between the sand and gravel. Don't stretch it too much or you might create gaps big enough for the sand to go through.

Rather than using something stretchy, go to a dressmakers shop and get some tulle if you want to use a mesh method that will not inhibit or choke the UGF system

It is rigid, extremely fine and comes in a multitude of colours so can be easily hidden away, get a piece, fold in half or quarters to further prevent sand dropping through it. It is also very inexpensive to buy (it is used to underskirt wedding and prom dresses and comes in various grades/mesh size and it won't hurt fish since it is very soft.)

Rather than using something stretchy, go to a dressmakers shop and get some tulle if you want to use a mesh method that will not inhibit or choke the UGF system

It is rigid, extremely fine and comes in a multitude of colours so can be easily hidden away, get a piece, fold in half or quarters to further prevent sand dropping through it. It is also very inexpensive to buy (it is used to underskirt wedding and prom dresses and comes in various grades/mesh size and it won't hurt fish since it is very soft.)
Thank you for he input! :) I think your response is an awesome idea! Thanks.

Thank you for he input! :) I think your response is an awesome idea! Thanks.
Make sure that the dye used, if buying a coloured tulle, is not chemical based. The shop will tell you if you ask,

My old knowledge is having problems with new thoughts bur I would never put something that contained a dye back in my old days or now, ;)
I suggested that you check incase you saw a tulle that matched the colour of your gravel and sand choices......thus making it invisible should it become exposed at any future point - ie using natural white will stand out like a sore thumb against the gravel and sand and be unsightly

Hmmmm, more Hmmmm... kinda sort of depends on the woman.... LOL! I may be old but I'm not so old that I don't still find a tight set of tights interesting... ;)
Don't know if you get the series over there but Nora Batty springs to mind

103031.jpg

-----------------------------------------
HAVE YOU VOTED YET

I doubt this tank is sufficient in size (base dimensions) for cories in the first place. If you do want a fish, try to give it what it wants and needs...and cories need a group (10-12 +) and must have smooth sand. Not in a dish, but over the aquarium.

I doubt this tank is sufficient in size (base dimensions) for cories in the first place. If you do want a fish, try to give it what it wants and needs...and cories need a group (10-12 +) and must have smooth sand. Not in a dish, but over the aquarium.
Don't get me wrong as I totally appreciate all the info I've been given but there is a bit of me that has become a bit pissed. I didn't ask for my initial fish. I took them in to prevent their death. I got a single black skirt, a common pleco and a little albino cory in a flower vase that may have held a quart of water. To keep them alive I got a 2.5 gallon mini tank while looking for something better. Best I could do was a 20 gallon cube. I added more tetras to give them a group. Now through different threads I'm told that isn't enough and I need more. I ask about corys and am told to add more yet am also told that my tank can't hold more. What am I supposed to do?

Well I think that I just made a decision. I'm going to get more corys and they will be fine as my filtration and air flow can easily handle a larger tank than mine. I also think that I will go ahead and add a half inch of black sand.

I think that I have made a drastic mistake in trying to go current as to tank science. Ya, my 'old school' stuff may be out dated but it worked very well 30 years ago. It should work the same today.

I am in no way putting down any advice I've been given. Still I think that my 'old school knowledge' serves me better as it is what I know. If it worked 30 years ago it will still work today. A week later and the tank tests totally healthy and as close to totally crystal clear even with a slight haze.

I've been fighting with this tank but there was nothing to fight.

Petco finally got in some corys and I picked up 5 to go with the original albino. Petco labeled them as miniature cory but I don't know what they really are and can't say that I really care. I was assured that they won't get larger than 3/4 inch but it is Petco so who knows. :dunno:

The original albino went into instant hiding but, after a few hours, came out and started to mingle a bit. Not yet a part of the new group but hopefully it will happen.

To be honest I've always had corys in my previous tanks ages ago but only one or two. Until I gained the knowledge from people here I never knew that they would want to school. I can already see the difference. They are really cute/funny to watch. It is like they will split apart and go roaming through the tand and then get together in sort of a huddle like they are saying Hey, did you see this? Check out what I found... I'm sure that isn't what is actually going on but bees do it so why not fish? :dunno: All I know is that having a group makes them a total hoot. ;) I just hope that, after a few days, the original albino continues to become more interactive with the newbies.

The 6 black skirt tetras don't seem over joyed with the new additions as the little corys go where they want. If a black skirt is in the way the corys don't seem to care and the tetra best get out of the path because the cory isn't about to change direction. It is really sort of funny.

With my military background I consider plecos tanks and corys humbies. One does not want to get in the way of either as they will just go right through you.

I'm actually a bit surprised by the apparent reaction of the tetras to the new corys. I mean one of the corys will go hyper and zing across the tank. The tetras just scatter and get out of the way. This may change but it still surprises me a bit as the tetras are 3-4 times larger that the tiny corys but still scatter to get out of the way. The newbies are probably about 1/2 inch or there about.

These little beasties are as cute as can be and I wish that I had known years ago that they wanted to be in a group. ;)

Bottom line of all this is that I want to offer thanks to those that educated me in that were shoal fish. I SO MUCH appreciate your your being willing to put up with my old school attitudes and helping me to better understand these wonderful critters.

Cories are awesome little hooligans....they seem to enjoy night time antics as much as during the day. I used to have some in an aquarium in the bedroom years ago, big mistake that was. I went from 6 to over 30 in about 6 months.

After all lights out they would start doing gymnastic tumbling in the outflow of the filter...and being very noisy about it too, splashing about doing somersaults.....and then you get the "getting jiggy with it".....oh boy....make sure you have another aquarium handy or an LFS on speed dial....cos Cories are serious nymphomaniacs once mature and all you get are 3-5 of them in a ball rolling around in a mating frenzy (one female, the rest randy little boys) and they literally bowl over anything or anyone in their way....

Yep Cories are wonderful little blighters....laugh a minute....but you might need contraception later (for the Cories, that is) ;)

Most reactions

Back