Adding Sand To Cory Tank

scampi

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have my Albinos in a tank with gravel. I would like to add sand and make it a half & half substrate.

Could you advise me please of the best way to go about this ????

Do I simply push the gravel aside then carefully add the sand in?

Would it be best to take the fish out before attempting this ??

Thankyou :)

Yes, if you want to do half/half you can push the gravel and add the sand; I did that in one of my tanks. I wouldn't bother removing the fish, just give the gravel a good hoover and make sure the sand is really, really well washed before you start :)

Yes, if you want to do half/half you can push the gravel and add the sand; I did that in one of my tanks. I wouldn't bother removing the fish, just give the gravel a good hoover and make sure the sand is really, really well washed before you start :)

Thanks fluttermouth :good:

I have two tanks like that ... half and half. I actually used my gravel vac to push the gravel over. Sucked up a LOT of debris that way.
sick.gif

To avoid too much clouding you can put the sand in cling film or foil and pull it to and hold the sand in will your hand. Lower the 'bag' of sand in and then pull at one corner and the sand falls gently into place causing minimal distubance. I did this to top up the sand in one of my tanks.

AmazonFTW

For those of you who have done this, will the sand and gravel mix eventually?

Not with sand on one side and gravel on the other. There's a little bit of mixing right in the middle, but not much.

my sand is so clean before it goes into the tank that i dont have to mess around, it just falls to the bottom and i get no clouding.

Hi ,has anybody got any pics of their tank with half and half ,just wodered what it would look like?

Personally if adding sand for the cories,i will do it all,it probably will eventually mix with the cories kicking the sand around.

Dang. Only in the UK, right? Take a look at my photo again at the sand. THAT'S the play sand I get here! I'm looking for that nice, light sugary sand. Does anyone know a good brand in the U.S.???
shout.gif

Dang. Only in the UK, right? Take a look at my photo again at the sand. THAT'S the play sand I get here! I'm looking for that nice, light sugary sand. Does anyone know a good brand in the U.S.???
shout.gif
Thats a dark playsand??
I'm unsure what the equivalent is in the US? :unsure:
You may need to put a separate thread :good:

Most reactions

Back