Add fish or re-home tigers?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WiccaFish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need your help. As my fish have matured I'm noticing some behavior changes I'm not happy with. When I started my tank I left it to an expert to help me pick out fish that would get along and for the most part they are but my fancy tiger barbs seem to be taking over the tank. All the other fish are on one side of the tank while the tigers rule the other side. I just noticed one of my sharks has a torn pectoral fin. I don't ever see the barbs go after the other fish but their flashy swimming seems to make the others nervous. And this nervous behavior by all the other fish started after a tiger dropped eggs.
I know I need to add fish but I would like recommendations on to which and how many. I would like to stay with what I originally have but maybe just add more numbers. This is what I currently have in a 75 gallon. Or should I re-home my tigers?
2 Pearl Gourami
5 Long Finned Tiger Barb's
2 Roseline Sharks
2 Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 Bristlenose

I would rehome the tigers. They are difficult fish to find tank mates for. You have been lucky so far as they are just about the nippiest fish in the hobby, and it is usually recommended to keep at least 12 of them in the hope they'll keep the nipping within their own species - but that doesn't always work.
Usually the only safe way to keep them is in a tiger barb only tank.

Roseline sharks, aka denisoni barbs, need a bigger shoal, as do the rainbowfish so I'd swap the tigers for more of those two.

Agreed, rehome the tigers....IMO, they belong in a tank by themselves, they're nippy, aggressive, and hyper, all of the time...

I would rehome the tigers. They are difficult fish to find tank mates for. You have been lucky so far as they are just about the nippiest fish in the hobby, and it is usually recommended to keep at least 12 of them in the hope they'll keep the nipping within their own species - but that doesn't always work.
Usually the only safe way to keep them is in a tiger barb only tank.

Roseline sharks, aka denisoni barbs, need a bigger shoal, as do the rainbowfish so I'd swap the tigers for more of those two.
I guess so far the consensus is re-home the tigers. I'm bummed because they are my favorites but I don't want the others to suffer. Hopefully the fish store will take them back and maybe do a trade ?
Do I have enough room to add more Gouramis too, along with the barbs and the rainbows?

I have 4 pearl gouramis (1male, 3 females) in a tank with a 42 x 18 inch footprint. Your tank is much bigger than mine so more gouramis will be good.
I believe I have two males (didn't know when I bought them) so I was planning on getting more females but it's a crap shoot when you buy them. No one guarantees a specific sex unless any of you know of a place I can purchase them from that guarantees them.

I was lucky-ish. I bought 5 in 2 batches from different branches of the same shop and they were big enough to tell the males from the females. Well, except for one female which turned into a male in the quarantine tank and went back to the shop. I first went to my favourite independent shop but the pearls they had there were too small to tell the males from the females so I went to my second favourite.

Unfortunately, I only have one fish store in my area and they would have to order the pearls for me and won't guarantee the sex. I've reached out on eBay but I get the same response.....no guarantee

Start up a new tank for tigers only? Then you could add albinos, greens and trad tigers for variety?
Im only suggesting this as a family friend may be wanting me to help them set up an action packed tank to keep two five yr old twin boys entertained. The three tiger versions were my initial suggestion but not being able to add other types of fish is a sticking point. Any other mix probably won’t provide the action reqd.
Best of luck.

I would LOVE to set up another tank but I think my husband would leave me.
Is your friend interested in some super active beautiful fancy tiger barbs? Lol

Im only suggesting this as a family friend may be wanting me to help them set up an action packed tank to keep two five yr old twin boys entertained. The three tiger versions were my initial suggestion but not being able to add other types of fish is a sticking point. Any other mix probably won’t provide the action reqd.
Best of luck.

I had my 75 gallon tank running for about a month, currently there 10 Tiger barbs, 10 Odessa barbs and 8 Serpae Tetras. To say they get along is a misnomer, it's more like they don't take crap from each other. It is a chaotic tank. I also have a rainbow shark who stay hidden most of the time and 2 Panda corys with 2 missing in action.

Oh boy! That does sound like chaos. Why do tigers have to be such a pain in the bu**?

I need your help. As my fish have matured I'm noticing some behavior changes I'm not happy with. When I started my tank I left it to an expert to help me pick out fish that would get along and for the most part they are but my fancy tiger barbs seem to be taking over the tank.

You could also try adding more Tiger Barbs, get a school of 12. The may keep the Tigers busy fighting among themselves. However, I am not sure if Gourami and Tiger are a good mix. As you says, the Tiger will dominate with their active behavior.

Ditch the little troublemakers. I had them years ago in a 55 gallon tank, and all I can remember is things did not end well for some of my other fish.

Oh boy! That does sound like chaos. Why do tigers have to be such a pain in the bu**?
LOL.

Do you have any plants? Create densely planted may give a place for the Gourami and others to hang out.

I am unsure about my Odessa Barbs, so far all of them are still showing female markings, I got them from PetCo. There is an online breeder ($140/8 fish, expensive) who selectively breeds for maximum color but I got impatient and bought a bunch from Petco. Here is what I as hoping for:

Odessa group.jpg

Most reactions

Back