Acrylic vs Glass

wavetide

Reaction score
Hi

I'm about to buy a 55 gallon acrylic tank with lights for $60 .. not bad right?

so what's the diff between acrylic and glass... is acrylic really that much more clear and has less distortion?

All my tanks are glass, so I can't speak from experience. I do know they scratch much more easily than glass, be very careful placing any rocks or harder decorations. I've also heard some plecs, I'm guessing probably larger ones, will scratch the inside also.

Tolak

Any of the wood eating plecs (Panaques etc) will seriously score the inside of a acrylic tank. As far as i can see the only advantage acrylic has over glass is weight which really plays a factor with larger tanks, my 200g glass tank took 4 strong men to lift up the stairs, i could have brought a acrylic tank in on my own.

CFC said:
Any of the wood eating plecs (Panaques etc) will seriously score the inside of a acrylic tank. As far as i can see the only advantage acrylic has over glass is weight which really plays a factor with larger tanks, my 200g glass tank took 4 strong men to lift up the stairs, i could have brought a acrylic tank in on my own.
[snapback]887926[/snapback]​

hmm ok

well I don't want a wood eating plec so I think I might be ok

I've read however that they yellow over time due to exposure to UV rays...
YIKES

maybe I should not buy it

wavetide said:
I've read however that they yellow over time due to exposure to UV rays...
YIKES

[snapback]887934[/snapback]​

Acrylic come in different types. Extruded Acrylic is cheaper and prone to yellowing.
Cast Acrylic is more expensive but less prone to yellowing.

Most reactions

Back