Acrylic Or Glass Tank?

sac36555

Reaction score
I already have a fully glass 55 gallon fish tank, but am looking for a bigger tank. Also looking to someday go salt water and was wondering what tank (acrylic or glass) would be better overall. also, what are some of the advantages and disagvantages of both?

I already have a fully glass 55 gallon fish tank, but am looking for a bigger tank. Also looking to someday go salt water and was wondering what tank (acrylic or glass) would be better overall. also, what are some of the advantages and disagvantages of both?

i did a reply on this ages ago

glass:

pros:
hard to scratch, easy to clean and its cheap
cons:
hard to remove scratches, heavy

acrylic:

pros:
clearer than glass, lighter than glass easy to remove scratches
cons:
heavier than glass, more expensive, easy to scratch, hard to find appropriate cleaning products

i did a reply on this ages ago

glass:

pros:
hard to scratch, easy to clean and its cheap
cons:
hard to remove scratches, heavy

acrylic:

pros:
clearer than glass, lighter than glass easy to remove scratches
cons:
heavier than glass, more expensive, easy to scratch, hard to find appropriate cleaning products

what is a better overall tank for saltwater? and is one more expensive?

You said Acrylic is lighter than glass and heavier than glass. Im pretty sure it cant be both?

I have a 4ft salt water fishtank all smashed to bits on my front lawn (transport accident- my house is on a slope, my hubby in Dubai, and the trolley wheel hit a bump)

so my next one will be acrylic for sure. Here's a link I found ages ago, outlining the benefits of acrylic vs glass
http://www.fao.com.au/acryl-aquariums.asp

Hope it helps :)

i have had my 1st acrylic tank now for 3yrs i would never buy glass again

once you go big acrylic is much more practical and the prices are not that different

acrylic is lighter it to 2 people with easy to lift a 84x32x30 tank on to its base the same tank in glass would have taken 6 people

its much clearer than glass ,glass has a green tint

their are no nasty silicon joints with acrylic

acrylic stays cleaner and you don't get the scaling you get on glass + algae doesn't stick to it like glass

acrylic all the way

i like the thought of acrilic but i dont think i could trust it

i like the thought of acrylic but i don't think i could trust it

ooops did i also forget to mention acrylic is 10 x stronger than glass

i don't know about the US but my tank came from a company called Neptune and it has a life time guarantee a glass tank silicon i only meant to be good for 10 years i know they last longer

Once you have seen one in the flesh you can see the difference. On pictures it is hard to see but in front of your eyes it is clear to see (excuse the pun)

Very expensive though

AC

Most reactions

Back