Acropora Frags

Uriel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Would it hurt if i added a couple of acropora frags to my frag rack. I know that they are notoriously hard to keep alive but as long as they where only small frags would it hurt anything really other than my wallet ? I want to grow all my coral from frags and fell in love with acropora just to find out they where one of the hardest things in the hobby to keep.

Acros are some of my favorite corals as well, and I've found that there are only really 3 things I've found to keep acro's healthy, and if you do them, they are easier than zoas.
1. HIGH light (but be sure to acclimate them to the light)
2. HIGH flow (even more important than light IME)
3. Keep your water quality good.

Also just keep in mind, the smaller the frag the slower it will grow, and if it is newly fragged don't expect any vertical growth for a long time. I've also found that if they are face down on the sand for any length of time, they will bleach at least a little. And don't forget to dip them!

What sort of dipping do you reccomend. Fresh water or a product like coralrx ? does your dipping process vary for softies as opposed to stonies ?

I know it will take ages from a small frag but i would rather kill a £5 frag than a £50 coral. Plus I like fragging due to watching the coral develop and also they are renewable rather than ones from ocean.

Most reactions

Back