A Very Hardy Tetra

10 Tanks

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hello. I started a 50 gallon tank roughly a year ago and added a dozen Buenos Aires Tetras to cycle the tank. I just fed a little and removed and replaced half the tank water every three to four days to keep the nitrogen out of the water. I added some plants and immersed a Chinese Evergreen in the water to help remove toxins while the bacteria was growing. I always used a water treatment and a bacteria starter with every water change. The Tetras have taken their time to reproduce, but now I have 18. This morning was one of three feedings per week and they were very enthusiastic. The fry are small, but pretty brave at feeding time. Attached is a photo of the "feeding frenzy".

Attachments

• B.jpg
    B.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Hyphessobrycon anisitsi is what it's supposed to be but there are 2 similar species possibly sold under the trade name. They're a great little tetra, with a temp range down to 16c/60f. They're perfect for unheated tanks. Their range takes them far enough south of the equator that things are moving toward temperate by then.

I don't think there's an easier tetra to breed, and its only flaw is that if you don't have a big group of them, they can be nippers. When I had them, they bossed the tank. They have tiger barb ways at times.

I kept mine with mid-sized Cichlids from the region.

I never kept mine with any long finned fish, but I would expect that to be a disaster. They are just too curious and are bound to discover a tasty food source there.

For new aquarists, they also get a good size if you compare them to small tetras like neons.

Tuesday morning after a long weekend. But, we need to get back on schedule. We've decided to add a bit of filtration/aeration to the tanks and to change the tank water a bit more often. We'll do two tanks a day for five days and then start the process over. The fish will get their water replaced a bit more often. I'm certain we'll hear no complaints about this change. Am also considering adding a few minnows from the local lakes to a tank. May dedicate a tank to them. The "jury" is still out on this one.

You probably know this, but the cardinal rule of collecting minnows is "once removed, never returned". Aquariums can harbour parasites and diseases from all over the world, and returning failed experiments with native fish can have drastic consequences.
I've kept native fish, but only after very carefully researching them and seeing what species they are. Eventual growth is an issue, as is diet, and overwintering temperatures. I don't keep local fish anymore as I've realized their life cycle isn't complete without a winter period, and I can't provide that. I'm constantly tempted by the nice Fundulus around here, but I've resisted the urge. I take the kayak out and watch them in the wild.
I spotted some nice little minnows, 2 inchers, about 2 weeks back. A little research showed they were shiners that could reach 6 inches easily - small for a local cold water species, but big for the space I would have had for them.

Hello Gary. Many thanks for checking in with me on this thread. Yes, I've kept minnows before that I've gotten from friends. And, I've seen some very large Goldfish and Koi in the local ponds, that were released when the hobbyist got tired of them. It's an interesting test of one's water keeping skills to keep minnows. Yes, I'll definitely keep those I get from the local ponds and not return them.

A Tuesday supplemental post. Worked on a couple of 55 gallon tanks. Actually moved a large Anubias to another tank. It took a lot of pulling to dislodge it, but I moved it. Muddied the water in both tanks for a bit, but the debris has now settled and the fish are none the worse for this excitement. I've dropped the water a bit and put in a small "turtle tank" water filter in both tanks. I also did a little of vacuuming, which I typically don't do. But, both tanks got a substantial water change and from now on, I'll change the water every five days.

Most reactions

Back