A Story With A Lesson (something Stupid I Did!)

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have a 10gallon hospital/recovery tank in my basement. It currently houses a RTB shark and a gibby pleco, each with their own problems, but both still pretty small fish. They both basically just needed a time out for one reason or another from my larger tank.

I have a 15gallon sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I got it from a friend of mine a while back, just never used it. so.. i'm like... hmmm... maybe i should just switch this 10g over to the 15g, they'd have a bigger footprint, eventhough it's only a 4"x2" increase, anything bigger than a 10g looks like a nice step up.

So i filled the 15g in the bathtub to see if it had any obvious leaks. couldn't find any, but i did by no means do a thorough check.

so i decide to roll the dice and just assume this thing is water tight... oh boy...

so switched everything over to this 15g, (tank is on top of a dresser, i layed a towel down underneath it first, JUST IN CASE). so everything looks fine. fish are doing great, they seem to be enjoying the bigger space... i leave them alone for a while and go upstairs, watch somethin on the tele... then i go back downstairs to see how they are doing, and the towel looks damp, and sure enough, it' soaked, and it's dripping off onto the carpet... RED ALERT, leaking tank.

so i did the quickest switch i ever did back to my 10g, sand, deco, fish, and hardware in 5-10 minutes. poor fish, i had to net them twice in one evening. i felt horrible.

the moral, if you have ANY doubt that your tank is going to hold water, it probably won't. never gamble, if this had been a bigger tank i may have been in trouble. :/

I think if you are ever in doubt, check the old sealant keeping the glass together and refresh any that looks slightly dodgey. Tanks which have had no water in them for a long time, tend to be prone to leaks as the sealent dries out over time.
Leaving the tank full of water for as many hours as you can (even a whole day) is one of the surest ways to see if any leaks develop :thumbs: .

next time i definitely will take my time and do a thorough check! anyone else every do anything like this?

next time i definitely will take my time and do a thorough check! anyone else every do anything like this?
I haven't, but your example is a good reminder to be mindful of things that we know we should do but don't. Like the time I was doing a water change and forgot to unplug the heater. *cracking glass noise* :crazy:

Actually, I've done that too, lol

Oh and by the way, just if anyone hasn't figured this out yet :lol: - the heater is HOT when you leave it switched on out of water. It's not a good idea to pick it up in your hand after you've broken it.....

i like my 8gal tank the heater is acually built in with the pump and is plastic cased so i dont feck things up tho i only use it 4 water changes

Oh and by the way, just if anyone hasn't figured this out yet :lol: - the heater is HOT when you leave it switched on out of water. It's not a good idea to pick it up in your hand after you've broken it.....

that hurts doesn't it!

With the leaking tank catastrophy - bad luck! - are the fish still alright?

that hurts doesn't it!

With the leaking tank catastrophy - bad luck! - are the fish still alright?

yeah, the fishes are fine. no problem. they were a little ticked at me for being stupid, but other than that they are fine. like nothing ever happened. :nod:

Most reactions

Back