A Story Of Stunting

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I debated with myself on whether or not to share this on here, but I've read so many posts lately about keeping fish in smaller tanks that recommended, I felt a need to post this. I would like to share something from the beginning of my fish keeping life....

As a fish newbie, I did not understand the idea of tank size and the amount/type of fish. I had two pregnant female guppies in a two gallon hex aquarium. These females soon gave birth to several fry. I soon gave the female guppies to a teacher friend for her aquarium in her classroom, and I was left with five guppy fry. I kept them is this tiny aquarium, oblivious to the cramped quarters these fish were living in. Obviously, one by one the poor things died, and I was eventually left with just one male. To this day, I still feel sick about that poor guppy. He lived for about a year, but he was in no way thriving. He was about 1/4 the size of a normal, adult guppy, and had a horribly deformed spine (he was completely bent in the middle). I can in no way, explain the biology behind this, but I truely believe if the fish was kept in the proper size aquarium, he would have had a normal development.

I share this for two reasons. One, to show that improper tank size could very well affect the health and well being of a fish. Eventhough they might be able to live in sub-par conditions, in no way are they living a healthy, thriving life. Second, is to remind the more experienced and advanced fish keepers that we all started out as newbies. Some newbies are more prepared that others, but they all have the potential to be great keepers one day, if given the proper knowledge. I was one of the poorly prepared keepers, but I believe, I have become a pretty good one. I still have lots of questions, but have gone from keeping poor guppies in a two gallon tank, to keeping a saltwater tank and seahorses. Most newbies make mistakes, but as long as they are willing to correct them when given proper information, we should help them as much as possible to become great fish keepers.

I share this for two reasons. One, to show that improper tank size could very well affect the health and well being of a fish. Eventhough they might be able to live in sub-par conditions, in no way are they living a healthy, thriving life.

This is a pretty common misconception. The size of the tank itself has no impact on how large a fish will get. Really what stunts fish is poor water quality. This is probably a myth that has come about due to the fact that inexperienced fishkeepers often have small tanks and also have poor water quality simply because fishkeeping takes practice! I'm sure most experienced fishkeepers have some horror stories lurking in their past, whether or not they choose to share them. Fishkeeping is definitely a learned science, and one that has a lot of misinformation out there to boot, so who can blame anybody for messing up at first. But at the risk of being too cliche, if at first you don't succeed... :D

that sounds pretty nasty, i remember seeing pictures of an oscar that should have been at least 10-12 inches but due to being a 2ft tank in VERY poor conditions was about 5inchs and horribly disproportioned. not pretty :(

i currently have my 20 gallon long tank divided into two sides (look at my sig). the barbs and 2" krib have about 16 gallons of space and the other two kribs have 4 gallons. hopefully, this is only a temporary setup.

are the 1" and 1.25" kribs in danger of being stunted (water parameters are good)?

I recall reading that some fish release hormones into the water. The concentration of these hormones tell the body of the fish how large it can grow. Can anyone validate or second this? I'll do a bit of research to see what I can find.

The bent spine thing could have been caused by fish tb or a poor diet, so I'm not sure it had anything to do with being in a small tank.

quote from hailey hailey on another fish forum

"Fish release hormones that will stunt the growth of them and the fish around them as a last ditch effort to survive in too small a space. This is stressful, and will cause a weakened immune system, opening the door to disease, and ultimately an early death."

http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/discus.html
"heavy water changes 3 to 4 times a week-->
Fish secret hormones to keep other fish from growing "

found more sources but it's all hearsay...nothing scientific

I'm sure most experienced fishkeepers have some horror stories lurking in their past

Nah not me :blush: ...

5gal hex for 2 goldfish and a chineses algae eater :p one goldfish (cupid) who had a perfect heart shaped red marking on his head acually lasted 4 years after being moved into 15gal all by his lonesome. Amzing tail, was a fantail goldish i beleive dont know of any other names. Was my favorite fish poor guy

Oh yeah, when I was 12 I won a goldfish from the fair. Sammy lived in a 1-gal bowl for 3 1/2 years. Poor thing... I didn't even condition the water or anything. Luckily I had well water so there was no chlorine, and I at least changed the water once a week. He was such a cute little guy. :( :blush:

The bent spine thing could have been caused by fish tb or a poor diet, so I'm not sure it had anything to do with being in a small tank.

TB caused by poor water conditions, caused by too small a tank and not enough maintenance.......

not saying definately but it could easily have been

My common plec had been kept in a 2ft aquarium for 2 years, and had maxed out at 6-7". Now a couple of months on after being in my 180g/6ft tank, he's heading for 10".

I guess it depends on the fish. Maybe (just a thought up theory here so I'm probably wrong) its more likely they'll recover or grow some more if they're long living fish. I think a plec that could live for 10-20 years would be more likely to start growing than a guppy who lives for a year or so? Due to the relatively large proportion of it's life being in inadequate conditons, whereas 2 years to a plec is nowt?

Most reactions

Back