A Question

sic0198

Fish Herder
Reaction score
From start to finish (just buying equipment) about how much would this cost?

it depends on the size of ur tank and if u want it to be FOWLR or a reef tank which cost more especially the lights but it all depends on the size of ur tank.........i have a 50 gal tank and my light cost 250 usd and if u want a protein skimmer which i recommend i bought mine for 150 usd its a coralife (im satisfy with it though) sand, lr and powerheads depends on the size of ur tnak also

I'm gonna get a 75 gallon.

it depends on the size of ur tank and if u want it to be FOWLR or a reef tank which cost more especially the lights but it all depends on the size of ur tank.........i have a 50 gal tank and my light cost 250 usd and if u want a protein skimmer which i recommend i bought mine for 150 usd its a coralife (im satisfy with it though) sand, lr and powerheads depends on the size of ur tnak also

Does it require special lighting, I just can't use the ones on m hood that came with it.

for FOWLR yes u can use that light that u have but if u want a reef tank metal halides or compact is a must (i have compact in my tank even thought its FOWLR im planniogn to make it reef next year thats y) but if ur planning for a FOWLR that light that u have is okay to use and you need to wait atleast a year to turn ur tank into reeef if ur plannign too

for FOWLR yes u can use that light that u have but if u want a reef tank metal halides or compact is a must (i have compact in my tank even thought its FOWLR im planniogn to make it reef next year thats y) but if ur planning for a FOWLR that light that u have is okay to use and you need to wait atleast a year to turn ur tank into reeef if ur plannign too

So what would be a good place to start, should I have a FOLR fish tank but wait a year to convert it to a reef tank?

i think everybody starts with FOWLR......thats wat i have right now

and its a good thing to start with FOWLR so you can learn everything before doin reef......right now my tank is iinfected with brookenella and i learn from this mistake

and be sure to quarantine every fish even if its ur first fish so u will not end up like me

quarantine is a must

1. a skimmer (this is what filters the water in a marine system)
2. a source of RO water (could buy a RO unit or see if your LFS sells RO water)
3. lighting (if you want to keep corals in your tank your freshwater lighting wont be good enough)
4. powerheads (where a freshwater system pumps your total water volume about once every hour you are looking for 20 to 30 times you volume to pump around in a marine setup)
5. a clean tank (if you ever used medications in your tank you should get a new one, saltwater life doesn't like copper)
6. heating (same as used in freshwater setups)
7. marine salt
8. live rock (this is where the bacteria that break down the ammonia grow)

So is this a good starter list of what I need? So I don't need Corals if I don't go for a reef aquarium yet, correct?

Oh aqnd what is RO water?

FOWLR is fish and live rock right?

Can I use fish compatible with a reef setup, to make the conversion easier next year?

And why wait a year?

FOWLR is fish and live rock right?
YES

yes those are a good starter list

RO water

Can I use fish compatible with a reef setup, to make the conversion easier next year?
YES

And why wait a year?
u need to stablish ur tank first and it takes that long for the bacteria to establishe ur could wait for 6 months, but in my opinion i would wait for a year just because

Thanks for the replies, sorry to ask all these questions?

And why wait a year?
u need to stablish ur tank first and it takes that long for the bacteria to establishe ur could wait for 6 months, but in my opinion i would wait for a year just because

Establish it for what ??

There is no need to wait a year to start adding coral (If a reef is what you want), a couple of months to let your tank reading settle & for you to reasearch on the livestock you want will be more than enought time :good:

I assume you are using Live Rock - If so & you use the right amount ofr the size of tank then you Biofiltration will be taken care of from day 1

So I can build a Live Rock with fish tank then turn into a reef tank in a couple months.

Doing the proper reasearch - yes you can :good:

Most reactions

Back