A question about bettas behaviour

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So I have recently put my betta in a 18G long and have spent around an hour and a half messing with the layout to reduce the flow within the tank, mainly by putting sponges next to the output flow to absorb some of the flow which has worked successfully. There is now In my 18G L only one small area which has a high flow which I constantly see my betta in as it’s a new tank hanging around. Will he stop doing this? Is he just learning his tank? I alwuas see him going back there despite lots of cover and he did this at start of his last tank so think he’s just getting used to it all but wanted to make sure

So I have recently put my betta in a 18G long and have spent around an hour and a half messing with the layout to reduce the flow within the tank, mainly by putting sponges next to the output flow to absorb some of the flow which has worked successfully. There is now In my 18G L only one small area which has a high flow which I constantly see my betta in as it’s a new tank hanging around. Will he stop doing this? Is he just learning his tank? I alwuas see him going back there despite lots of cover and he did this at start of his last tank so think he’s just getting used to it all but wanted to make sure
As long as you have places to hide and ample places with low flow. He is enjoying some swimming in my openion unless he looks crazy stressed.. I have super long fin and he will spend time in current some.

Also when your messing w layout you create crap in water so flow from filter is more clean

Are there tank mates?

Attachments

• 20200616_091314.jpg
    20200616_091314.jpg
    922.7 KB · Views: 42
As long as you have places to hide and ample places with low flow. He is enjoying some swimming in my openion unless he looks crazy stressed.. I have super long fin and he will spend time in current some.

Are there tank mates?
Your tank looks really cool! He’s only got shrimp in the tank. I think he may be as well I’d say only 4% of the tank has any kind of medium flow in it with the rest being very low

Also when your messing w layout you create crap in water so flow from filter is more clean

Are there tank mates?
My main worry is by buffering the output will it lead to any breathing problems for the betta as I’ve reduced flow so much so it can swim easily

My main worry is by buffering the output will it lead to any breathing problems for the betta as I’ve reduced flow so much so it can swim easily
It will not cause any breathing problems, as bettas have a special organ that allows them to take oxygen straight from the surface of the water.

He will probably stop hanging around that area, once he learns that it isn't in his best interest.

It will not cause any breathing problems, as bettas have a special organ that allows them to take oxygen straight from the surface of the water.

He will probably stop hanging around that area, once he learns that it isn't in his best interest.
Perfect thanks

No it will not. I will be changing that tank to sponge filter soon. Even less flow. Out of my 7 tanks only 1 has fish that NEED flow. I think alot of times it's the fish keeper thinking we need to see waterfall. I believe bubbler or sponge filter gets way more oxygen in water. Plus with sponge filter my floating plants do better not hitting HOB flow and getting stuck in lower plants.

Most reactions

Back