A Note On Water Changes - Why Big Numbers Are Important

there can NEVER BE a "set in stone" rule regarding water changes, there are too many factors involved,

current water conditions, feeding habits, amount of food fed/frequency, type of fish, how many fish (overstocked/understocked), filteration, etc etc etc....heck i could even argue that lighting could be a determining factor also,

point being.....EVERY TANK IS DIFFERENT....no two tanks are the same

lol, I've never heard such a load of,.......
sad2.gif
. in all my life!
People seeing things that are not there here.

Change how much you like, 25-30% is more than enough.
Unless of course, you have other problems.

None of the evidence here stands any reasonable scrutiny.

In fact most is pure
sad2.gif
?

sure, state it as "your view".
but dont pretend its "fact", or even considdered as reasonable practice.

no wonder this forum is slipping, if this is how its going.

Your argument is pointless because you just made one of those statements that " Don't stand any reasonable scrutiny", cited in your own words.

I think you're being overly harsh there, Raptor.

Most fishkeepers would agree that larger water changes are more effective than smaller ones, and it's something newbies to the hobby often underestimate.

How can a larger water change be more effective than smaller ones?
Unless you have problems, elsewhere?

If a properly filtered, heated, fed and stocked tank, needs more than 25-30% weekly water changes, YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ONE, OR MORE, OF THE MENTIONED ITEMS!

The suggestion that MASSIVE daily water changes are the only way to keep a tropical tank is plain LOONY!
It may be the keeper is “happier” doing so.
But that would be the only reason.
To suggest otherwise would only hinder people who may be fooled by the claim.

raptor.. very first line of this post was
There's been a few posts recently about how much water to change, are large changes safe, what to do when ammonia or nitrite levels are high

therefore the info was given to show that yes large water changes are safe and indeed important for solving nitrite/ ammonia probs... surely you dont think its easier to solve problems like those with little water changes?

i dont think the op was saying every fish keeper should be doing massive water changes every week (at least that's not how i read it) just that he was illustrating the difference between doing small and large water changes in relation to how much nitrite etc can be cleared. I think it was just a slightly more confusing way of saying changing 50% of your water twice, doesnt infact change 100% of the water. :)

Ok guys, lets keep it friendly :)

I think the intention of this topic was to explain in more depth to newcomers of the hobby as to why it is important to do large daily water changes whilst the tank is cycling OR having problems. It seems that sometimes when the advice "You need to do large, daily water changes until Ammonia and Nitrite hit 0" is given, newcomers don't fully understand the reason why it needs to be done, and I think it was dannybgoode's intention when he posted this to try and explain things a bit further.

Most reactions

Back