blackworms
shirmp
and basicly any other worms or live food there is on the market

but my question is can i base my puffers diet on
70%snails
and 20%shrimp
and the 10% other

i want to make sure i have the right home and food before i go and buy him

Imagine a fish in the wild, they will basically eat what they can. Feed all those foods in varying amounts all the time.

Yea I kind of have the same problem but I'm sure for dude the food is easy to find. For me, I have to hunt down the food because it's a rare site to see one in a lfs. But my problem is, I've already got the DP and need to find food. I'm sure I can find some somewhere but I'm just a little scared because I dont have it right now.

Yea I kind of have the same problem but I'm sure for dude the food is easy to find. For me, I have to hunt down the food because it's a rare site to see one in a lfs. But my problem is, I've already got the DP and need to find food. I'm sure I can find some somewhere but I'm just a little scared because I dont have it right now.

Your LFS doesn't sell live crustecean food :huh: ? Or frozen for that matter?

Nope. I know hard to believe. The only type of live food they sell are livebearer fry they get out of the livebearer tanks. No frozen food.

Im the same, none of my local shops sell frozen crustacians or live for that matter.

Our puffs eat frozen bloodworm and a few snails that get thrown in for one of the other tanks.

If your LFS has a cold water section you should be able to snails from that bit. Usually it is much cheaper than buying snails from the Tropical bit. Just be careful you don't get large apple snails as you will probably find that they are too big.

Otherwise, if you have another FW tank, slightly overfed and "grow" some snails for the puffs. Much cheaper than having to keep buying them.

yea what I'm doing is I got a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails for free and while they breed and all in my 29 gallon, I feed the puffer freezedried food through a turkey baster. That works for me.

if you cannot get hold of food from your lfs, then if you have a local fishing tackle shop they a bound to have it, i buy in bulk from my local fishing tackle shop its easier and cheaper in the long run also never have a lack of food for fishing.

yea I thought about that but the fishing shop that was just up the road from me closed down. Dont know if they had anything like that though. I know they had earthworms and feederfish but never saw any kind of bloodworm or anything like that.

yea what I'm doing is I got a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails for free and while they breed and all in my 29 gallon, I feed the puffer freezedried food through a turkey baster. That works for me.

you should try to grow other species of snails bc mts are really hard shelled and he might not be able to eat them

as for me

my gravel contians iron so i cant really grow snails
can i grow them in a bottle?

do snails like ramshorn need a heater?

Do you have a pond? You may be able to collect stuff like water flea and different larvae from there, failing that you could leave like a big bin of water or something outside.

you should try to grow other species of snails bc mts are really hard shelled and he might not be able to eat them

as for me

my gravel contians iron so i cant really grow snails
can i grow them in a bottle?

do snails like ramshorn need a heater?
Yea I got some snails from the lake near my house and they're in the 10 gallon with him and all are pretty big but they should breed in there. You should get a large container of some sort and keep it outside and put plants and stuff in it to provide shade for different snails that you could collect from rivers and lakes and such. I dont know about Ramshorns needing heaters. Actually I dont think they do because they say you can keep them in coldwater ponds like the 100 gallon pond I have in my front yard. Ramshorns may be a little too big for Dwarf Puffers though. Well not the juviniles. You should try that, I would enjoy hearing how you progress.

i think i just need to give up

ive been trying to grow snails in bottles and i got at least 20 snails (all types) mostly common pond snail

and all of them are dead

the only thing i can think of that killed them are metals that i seem to have in my tap....

i also tryed rainwater bc of that ...

now there are just 2 that are barely alive and they have climed out of the water and are not moving :(

I think the easiest way to grow snails is to have them in one of your tanks that has fish that dont eat snails. That way they can live in normal setting, clean your tank, and you can pick them out to feed.

Most reactions

Back