A new fry tank

snotirl

Fish Addict
Reaction score
2 day i bought a fry tank and i ahve 2 questions 1> I got a pump with it should i put a stocking over it to stop fry from getting sucked in and 2> i got small stones with it r they ok to put in like will the fry got stuck in them?? :unsure:

hey yo', what's up, your quetion is wierd, but if you meen you have small grain substriaght and a filter, then you can put a stockin over the filter intake tube, and the sand will be perfectly fine, with san food doesn't fall through and sits on top, givin the fry atleast 2 days to finish eating.

I didnt say sand i siad small stones will they be ok?

OK thanks one more question can i have any fish in with the fry like a cory or somthin? -_-

It really depends on the fish. Corys usually won't bother the fry because they have a hard time catching them. Some fish will eat as many baby fish as they can catch and others leave them alone. It depends on the fish.

Small gravel is best for a fry tank. When large gravel is used sometimes fry will swim down into cracks in it and get stuck. And then you can have messed up water parameters when the dead fry start rotting. So small its the best for that type of tank.

The fry i will be putting in there will be swordtails ! so what can i put in?

snotirl said:
2 day i bought a fry tank and i ahve 2 questions 1> I got a pump with it should i put a stocking over it to stop fry from getting sucked in and 2> i got small stones with it r they ok to put in like will the fry got stuck in them??  :unsure:
Hi Snotirl :)

If you have a filter that hangs on the back and has a tube running down into the tank, that's probably the best thing you can do for the fry. (I wish they kept fry in mind and made ones that would be safe!) -_-

I think a fine gravel would be better for the fry than bigger stones. Or, you could leave the bottom bare the way some people do.

Corys are not likely to bother the fry. Once I saw some of my bronze corys beginning to lay eggs in the big tank and scooped them out and moved them to the fry tank (with 2 week old cory fry--very tiny) They acted like they didn't even notice them. Now cory fry live on the bottom where the big ones do and they could have eaten them if they wanted to, but they didn't.

Hi :thumbs:

No the pump is a small rena one with the filter sponge and the little slits in the plastic arround the sponge , but wont the tank not get filtered propaly if i was to put a stockin over it?? :smb:

I'm not familiar with that kind of sponge filter, but I use a big one in one of my fry tanks and find that it doesn't suck up much dirt. What it does do, however, is grow bacteria and that in itself is a good reason to have it. It doesn't have any plastic around it, just sponge.

If yours is the same, the stocking wouldn't stop the bacteria, but instead would be another place for the bacteria to grow.

Hey inchworm :thumbs:
How would it filter the tank, with a stocking over it? :blink:

Hey inchworm :thumbs:
How would it filter the tank, with a stocking over it? :dunno: :blink:

Hi Snotirl :D

I have that type of filter with the plastic slots in my fry tank and it doesn't bother them at all. I do however have a problem with my gravel wich is small but not small enough. It left cracks that they were able to get into and get stuck. I was able to get most out before it was too late and now they are bigger and it isn't a problem. However if you are going to use gravel make sure it doesn't leave any space in between. Also most small algae eaters are fine with fry(like an Otto or Clown Pleco)and they will help keep the tank clean.

If you mean "how do you get the dirt out," you will have to siphon it out. That's why some people like to have the bottom bare in a fry tank. That way, you can use a length of air line tubing as a siphon and vacume the dirt off the floor every few days.

That means the filter is only good for building up bacteria then?!? -_-

Most reactions

Back