A Mistake Youy Don't Want To Make Like I Did

Trance2006

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just got back from working on my 20 gal. It seems the air bubbles coming from the air stone got into the inlet of the fluval and the inpeller sliced the bubbles. So I had 3 minutes of many bubble.. I fixed it my slowly moving it left right forward and back while moving the primer up and down.

Can this happen? Or was it a rare occurance

Oh, thew, I was just worried because I read on the forums today that the bubbles can get stuck on a fishes gills, and kill it,

from Bignose:
With bubbles and filter returns, the gas exchange is very quick. And, I really don't think that aquarium heaters could heat the water up fast enough for more than a few % oversaturation to occur. Often when this occurs, anyway, bubbles start to appear all over all the surfaces of the tank. This is really bad since a bubble could form on the fish's gills, effectively suffocating it. This is another great reason why when you put in new water it should be about the same temperature as the tank water.

this is a phenomenon completely different from lots of tiny bubbles coming from your airstone. you know how when you first fill a tank after its been low for a couple of hours and all these teensy bubbles appear on the glass where the waterline was? those are the sorts of bubbles that can "stick on a fish's gills"--bubbles that form when saturated gases condense.

Most reactions

Back