A Million Questions!

Welcome to the forum Adymcd.
The paper strip tests are not unknown to us here, they are simply not well respected. We tend to discount almost any test that is not based in using the tiny test tubes and doing color matching with the liquid tests. Although your test kit will never get rave reviews here, your chemistry indicates nothing right or wrong with your tank water. You seem to have a decent KH which means you will not be seeing your pH whipped around by anything in the tank. The pH is a bit on the high side but that is fine unless you happen to have very sensitive fish. That leaves us with the open question of what your ammonia levels may be. Ammonia is the first step in the nitrogen cycle for your tank. Until you have a trace of ammonia, no further processing of nitrogen can take place. The function of the first bacteria in your biological filter is to convert ammonia to nitrites.

Is the other fish a black skirt tetra

or a black neon tetra

Attachments

• BlackSkirtTetraWFCh_C2975.jpg
    BlackSkirtTetraWFCh_C2975.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 44
  • BlackNeonTetraWFCh_C1109.jpg
    BlackNeonTetraWFCh_C1109.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 44
Although your test kit will never get rave reviews here, your chemistry indicates nothing right or wrong with your tank water.

I've used those strips before with a nitrite level of 0.5ppm according to my API Kit and the NO2 bit didn't change colour at all... I don't say they're highly inaccurate just to make people spend money. I've been there, done that, and actually compared them myself.

So although I hope the results are correct... I wouldn't bet on it just with regards to that test result.

Most reactions

Back