A Lethal Cocktail?

Maxamus

Reaction score
Hi im just starting my fishless cycle so ive started scoping out fish i want to get when its finished. The guy at the LFS said that maybe these would go good together:
2x Platies
1x Redtail shark
4-5x Tiger Barbs
4x assorted gouramis
1x Rainbowfish
plus the usual snail and plants
PS I have a 130liter tank with an aqua nova NCF-1500 external canister filter

all looks fine but the RTS will need more room than that as it grows, i know they only get to 6 inches, but they need swimming room.

Tiger Barbs with Gourami's i dont think so, you will probably find Gourami minus their fins.

Rainbow Fish...if you mean Bosemans or other rainbows then you need to have shoal, one alone wont be very good.

I second the thought on tiger barbs and gouramis not going together. Tiger barbs are fairly aggressive towards slow moving fish like gouramis and possibly the platys and will harass and nip them.

i was thinkng of getting some neon blue dwarf gouramis. ok ill get rid of the rainbow fish. Do you guys reccomend any cool looking easy fish to take care of in their place (maybe a bristlenose catfish) and are there any barbs that are easy to get that wont nip the gouramis?

In place of the tiger barbs or rainbow fish would i be able to have some zebra danios?

All help appreciated
Thanks guys
Maxamus

okay guys im back. I've just gone to some of my LFS and they suggested a combination along the lines of
1x Red tail shark
5xTiger Barbs
5XMoss green barbs
6x Zebra Danios
1x Male swordtail
2x Female swordtail
1x Bristlenose Catfish

Would this be a good combination?
Thanks Guys

okay guys im back. I've just gone to some of my LFS and they suggested a combination along the lines of
1x Red tail shark
5xTiger Barbs
5XMoss green barbs
6x Zebra Danios
1x Male swordtail
2x Female swordtail
1x Bristlenose Catfish

Would this be a good combination?
Thanks Guys

doesnt sound to bad to me sounds like u have found a lfs that actually knows somthing

With Tiger Barbs, five may not be enough to stop them hassling the other fish. If you like the look of TBs, why not try Pentazona Barbs?. Very similar in appearance, but very mild-mannered.

ok thanks guys ill try and track down those barbs but 2 more questions
1)if i cant get any of those other barbs how many tigers will i need to get to stop bullying
2) I've searched around all my local shops and hardware but the only ammonia i can find is "Cloudy Ammonia" as the name states it is cloudy and when i shake i bubble come to the top that take around 2-4 seconds to dissiapate. Will this ammonia do as far as i can see id doesn't have any added perfumes.

Thanks Guys

Good to see people doing research before buying their fish. :good:

1x Male swordtail
2x Female swordtail
I'd give the swordtails a miss unless you want to start raising baby fish! You can't count on the other fish eating all of the fry you'll soon be over run and then they'll start inbreeding!

1x Red tail shark - needs a bigger tank

5xTiger Barbs - need a group of about 10 to stop them harassing the other fish, this would take up about two thirds of the stocking for your tank

1x Male swordtail 2x Female swordtail - you'll have zillions of babies, fine if you want fry but make sure you are prepared

i'm pretty sure that "moss green barbs" are a color morph of tiger barbs, so getting them in place wouldn't actually solve the problem. your cloudy ammonia is probably supposed to be a treatment for cloudy water. You should be able to buy ammonia at any store selling regular household cleaning products, just make sure that it is ONLY ammonia, and not mixed with anything (scents, other chemicals, etc.)

cherry barbs might be less troublesome, also, try researching bleeding heart tetras, harlequin rasboras, serpae tetras, or hatchetfish.

Most reactions

Back