A good fert to dose with flourish.

Tropical Tony

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I dose my tank twice a week with flourish. After doing a bit of reading I’ve found flourish doesn’t provide all the nutrients the plants need. What else can I Use alongside flourish to make sure the plants are getting what they need?

Hi everyone,

I dose my tank twice a week with flourish. After doing a bit of reading I’ve found flourish doesn’t provide all the nutrients the plants need. What else can I Use alongside flourish to make sure the plants are getting what they need?

Plants require 17 nutrients, and all of them except three are in Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium. The three that are not included are oxygen, hydrogen and carbon. Most fish tanks will have these although carbon may be minimal (that's another issue). The hard macro-nutrients calcium and magnesium are minimal because most people have these in their source water. So with very soft water or RO you might have to supplement these, but not always. It depends upon the plant species, numbers, and fish load.

So should I just stick with flourish and see how it goes Byron?

There is a bit more to this, I was just responding to your actual question previously.

Light intensity drives photosynthesis, and once the intensity is reached for the plant species, nutrients must be available in balance. Flourish Comprehensive Supplement (FCS) is as the name indicates a supplement, so it works best in low-tech or natural planted tanks, as opposed to high-tech aquatic garden-type tanks which take a lot more light, diffused CO2 and daily nutrients. So the first thing is your light, as was touched on in the other thread on the carpet plant.

Plants also require nutrients in a fairly specific proportion to each other (the nutrients), and FCS has this proportion. This means that plants will not be getting too much of "x" or "y" which can cause them to shut down assimilation of some other nutrients. This is not a problem in their habitats because the nutrients are not exactly plentiful in the first place. As soon as we start dumping in fertilizers, we are creating a whole new game and sometimes problems like algae, melting, etc. can result.

If your lighting is low or moderate, FCS is ideal and all you would ever need, once a week, maybe twice, depending upon the plant species/numbers again. If you have quite intense/bright light, then you may need to reduce this, or up the nutrients including CO2. Floating plants can help if the light is maybe just a little over. The plant species matter too, as some need less light, others much more. I have moderate to low lighting on my tanks, because I consider the fish first, and plants have to manage or they get tossed! But I have incredibly thriving swords, floating plants, and some crypts, and Flourish Tabs for the swords, and FCS once a week, is all I need, even with my zero-GH water.

Most reactions

Back