A favour to ask

Synirr

"No one is a failure unless you try"
Reaction score
I was hoping to be able to breed wuv's mini boy with my mini girl, but as it turns out, he's even smaller than she is!! As it's difficult for males to wrap around and breed with females larger than themselves, I now find myself on the hunt for a mini girl... anyone willing to keep their eyes peeled for me? She doesn't have to be a true mini like this boy apparently is -- just unusually small or a slow-grower would do the trick. I really want to know if this boy's condition is genetic, and this is the only way I can find out. He only looks a little over one inch long to me, so I'd need a female roughly the same size...

Fun facts for those interested in genetics:
Since wuv said the mini boy came from a fairly large spawn and was the only mini, if his condition is genetic, it is likely a mutation. If that's the case, then it's probably a dominant trait, since the likelihood of two alleles at the same locus mutating in the same way to produce a new recessive trait is EXTREMELY unlikely. If the trait is dominant, I'd expect 50% of any of this boy's offspring to be minis.
Of course, it could just be a congenital defect that has nothing to do with genetics... but I'll never know unless I find him a mate! ;)

Well, I do have little Liza here, who is a HORRIBLY slow grower.
All my other girls have doubled in size, leaving her in the dust.
She refused to eat for 12 days, also, though so that might be why.
I live in Wisconsin, too, and she's kinda frail with some fin issues right now, so I doubt it would work for me to ship her to you either.

I am flying to Texas the beginning of May, though.
I wonder if I could bring her as a carry-on.
lol

Kiarra -- Barely over an inch long :nod:
BettaMomma -- Thanks very much for the thought, but I wouldn't want to risk breeding Liza... she's your little baby, after all! Wouldn't want to risk anything happening to her on such a long trip :)

I'll keep an eye out. I have two growing spawns right now, so if I see any females that might work for you, I'll let you know.

ManyFISH4Me said:
How old is he? maybe he is still growing, and will catch up to the female you already have.
It's always possible, I guess, but I'm not going to hold my breath :p
Here's the original thread wuv posted with a pic of him in comparison to his brothers.

Thanks Kiarra, you're a pal :D! I'll happily pay for a female if you do find one. Colour and tail type don't really matter for this one, as I'm just trying to see if the trait is genetic...

I have my girl Lil' Bit.... I just measured her best I can and she is about an inch. The breeder said she is around 4 months old.
She's a celophane delta... Here's a pic.... If your interested I don't have a problem parting with her... For the sake of research. ;)

LilBit05.jpg

LilBit03.jpg

Kara101584 said:
I have my girl Lil' Bit.... I just measured her best I can and she is about an inch. The breeder said she is around 4 months old.
She's a celophane delta... Here's a pic.... If your interested I don't have a problem parting with her... For the sake of research. ;)
You really wouldn't mind?? I'm gonna sniff around and see what I can find, and if I don't come up with anything in a few days, I may get back to you on that ;)
I wish there was some way to compare sizes and be sure it's a match before going through all the trouble of shipping and whatnot :/

Edit: My small female is about an inch and a half or an inch and three-quarters, and she's too big... to give you some idea of how small a female would have to be

Maybe agree on a standard item that is ALWAYS the same size and take a picture of the Bettas in front of that item, and compare them in reference to their size in comparison to that item...?

Let me tape some paper with 1 inch on it and see if I can get some pics of her next to it.

I don't mind at all, the breeder gave her to me when I got Neptune, she is his sister.

BRB with pics...

Kara101584 said:
Let me tape some paper with 1 inch on it and see if I can get some pics of her next to it.
I'll do the same, though it might take me until tomorrow to actually get a good photo

Are the ends of the arrows one inch, or are the ends of the line one inch? If it's the end of the arrows things might work out, but if it's the line, she's a bit too large :(
Here's a best pic I could get... his body is a little tilted, so if he were straightened out, he would be almost exactly one inch from the tip of his nose to his caudal peduncle

Attachments

• DSCN6562.jpg
    DSCN6562.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 37

Most reactions

Back