A Double Headed Fry!?!?

well to a degree, but 90% of the times its genetic. fry from poor breeding stock with a dodgy gene.

My fry are usually born with a normal body but seem to grow up in her tank with deformed spines if i keep any of them which i sometimes do they grow up with normal spines even if they are from the same batch.
i agree with Harlequins

if your fish grow with normal spines and are from the same batch.
90% of the time bent spines is down to unfavourable conditions

well to a degree, but 90% of the times its genetic. fry from poor breeding stock with a dodgy gene.

My fry are usually born with a normal body but seem to grow up in her tank with deformed spines if i keep any of them which i sometimes do they grow up with normal spines even if they are from the same batch.
i agree with Harlequins

if your fish grow with normal spines and are from the same batch.
90% of the time bent spines is down to unfavourable conditions

Thanks thats 2 people who think i should just raise the babies myself.
I did take a water sample down to my local aqua shop to get it tested and they said PH=6.4, nitrite, nitrate and ammonia all at min, carbon was abit high but not dangerous to fish so they said i could sort the carbon out with 2 teaspoons of kitchen salt.
orangeguppy.jpg

This is my male guppy.

nice picture misscosmo don't be put of by in breeding your guppy's/ only breed from your best fish.
btw Cooking salt is way better than kitchen salt.

Nick16
poor breeding stock is normally down to fish being kept in unfavourable conditions its not all down to genetics as you seem to think.

nice picture misscosmo don't be put of by in breeding your guppy's/ only breed from your best fish.

Nick16
poor breeding stock is normally down to fish being kept in unfavourable conditions its not all down to genetics as you seem to think.

I clean my 2ft tank out about once every 3-6 month then test it when its warmed up and i'm ready to put the fish back in all is the same except the carbon obviously. It was cooking salt i just checked after reading your post :lol: got it abit wrong.
my fish are from the best aqua shop around sheffield that i can find. It's a shop called aqua hobby they have now moved to attercliffe but i still get my fish from there i recently purchased a sailfin plec from there.
My plec is doing great i did put 2/4 of a small frezze dried tubifex worm block in last night before turning the lights out.

You should really clean your tank weekly,fortnightly at a push...you dont need to take the fish out of the tank when doing waterchanges unless you are changing gravel or doing a major overhaul..

A plec?,these grow way to big for your 2 ft tank,you will stunt its growth and cause an untimely death for it.Quality of fish doesn't count if the quality of your water/maintenance is not maintained properly.

Edited cos of spelling :rolleyes:

You should really clean your tank weekly,fortnightly at a push...you dont need to take the fish out of the tank when doing waterchanges unless you are changing gravel or doing a major overhaul..

Is it a commom plec,has these grow way to big for your 2 ft tank,you will stunt its growth and cause an untimely death for it.Quality of fish doesn't count if the quality of your water/maintenance is not maintained preoperly.

I know they grow to big and when it gets abit bigger i have a friend who has a big enough tank and shes fallen in love with it she keeps asking for it.
It's not the same friend as the 1 that i used to take my guppies round to and it's a sailfin plec. I do regular water changes and constantly check my fish over in detail to see if there is anything wrong with them and so far nothing at all. My plec has gotten so used to me that when i put my hand in to do something (like if i was taking the oranaments out to clean them) he comes and sticks to my hand and i have to gently lift my hand to the surface to get him off, hes never hurt me or any other fish. He eats cucumber as i put a slice in once a week and hes usually finished it in 1 night so i take it out after that. My friends tank is 5ft that's big enough for a plec isn't it?.

Sorry i missed the sailfin plec bit,well these can still grow too 20 inches...how big is it now?

Harlequins will a 6gal tank do till i can get a bigger one for my fry? as i still want to raise them myself.

Nick16

If you're saying that the poor stock is down to unfavourable conditions then how would this affect the fry if the effects are caused by the environment? The Fry are not exposed to the environment until they're born, so how the environment could possibly cause a conjoined fish whilst it is inside the womb is beyond me.

Deformed and conjoined fish are purely genetic, and are down to inbreeding, of brothers and sisters, mothers and off spring, cousins etc, and not the environment.

And environmental factor that would cause fish deformation would be something like an inappropriate sized tank, which will stunt the fish.

Nick16

I clean my 2ft tank out about once every 3-6 month then test it when its warmed up and i'm ready to put the fish back in all is the same except the carbon obviously. It was cooking salt i just checked after reading your post :lol: got it abit wrong.
my fish are from the best aqua shop around sheffield that i can find. It's a shop called aqua hobby they have now moved to attercliffe but i still get my fish from there i recently purchased a sailfin plec from there.
My plec is doing great i did put 2/4 of a small frezze dried tubifex worm block in last night before turning the lights out.

Sounds like your friend has problems with bad water quality if fry turn out OK in your tank.I would recomment not giving your friend any more fry or fish till she sorts out her toxic tank problem. That high death rate is not normal or acceptable even for an inexperienced fishkeeper.Poor fish are doomed otherwise.
If you want to raise fry there's no need to buy expensive tanks. Those cheap plastic crates with lids you can get for £3-9 depending on size from Poundstretcher type places and hardware shops make great fry/quarantine/hospital tanks at pocketmoney prices.Just put your heater and filter inside as you would with a glass tank (you may need to cut slot in lid for electric wires)

I've raised lots of healthy fry with no problems -maybe I've been lucky but I put it down to frequent (ar least twicw weekly) water changes NOT every two months. Even my established community livebearers and cichlid tanks get a weekly 50%water change and sometimes mid week too.

Nick16

Sounds like your friend has problems with bad water quality if fry turn out OK in your tank.I would recomment not giving your friend any more fry or fish till she sorts out her toxic tank problem. That high death rate is not normal or acceptable even for an inexperienced fishkeeper.Poor fish are doomed otherwise.
If you want to raise fry there's no need to buy expensive tanks. Those cheap plastic crates with lids you can get for £3-9 depending on size from Poundstretcher type places and hardware shops make great fry/quarantine/hospital tanks at pocketmoney prices.Just put your heater and filter inside as you would with a glass tank (you may need to cut slot in lid for electric wires)

I've raised lots of healthy fry with no problems -maybe I've been lucky but I put it down to frequent (ar least twicw weekly) water changes NOT every two months. Even my established community livebearers and cichlid tanks get a weekly 50%water change and sometimes mid week too.

Thanks for the advice and i was going to start a new post but i thought better of it and thought about asking this in this one as it is about guppies.
I purchased 4 new guppies 1 male and 3 females. I noticed 1 of the females was holding all but her side fins clamped, i can't see anything wrong with her as i sat watching her for ages in the shop she has no redness or inflamed gills or anus. No marks shes not acting strange just holding her fins clamped she is interacting with the rest.
I might just be overeacting but i wanted to make sure she is OK. Could there be something wrong with her?

Nick16

Thanks for the advice and i was going to start a new post but i thought better of it and thought about asking this in this one as it is about guppies.
I purchased 4 new guppies 1 male and 3 females. I noticed 1 of the females was holding all but her side fins clamped, i can't see anything wrong with her as i sat watching her for ages in the shop she has no redness or inflamed gills or anus. No marks shes not acting strange just holding her fins clamped she is interacting with the rest.
I might just be overeacting but i wanted to make sure she is OK. Could there be something wrong with her?
just keep a eye on it probably needs to adapt to your water conditions

Nick16

If you're saying that the poor stock is down to unfavourable conditions then how would this affect the fry if the effects are caused by the environment? The Fry are not exposed to the environment until they're born, so how the environment could possibly cause a conjoined fish whilst it is inside the womb is beyond me.

Deformed and conjoined fish are purely genetic, and are down to inbreeding, of brothers and sisters, mothers and off spring, cousins etc, and not the environment.

And environmental factor that would cause fish deformation would be something like an inappropriate sized tank, which will stunt the fish.
Conjoined fish are not purely genetic, and down to inbreeding,conjoined fish. may be or may not be genetic no one knows for sure what courses it.

unfavorable conditions or envilronmental.
There are many factors why fish can become deformed or get bent or kinked spines.
Here are a few common faults. incorrect feeding or poor diet. poor water quality and incorrect temperature
the biggest problem is some inexperience fish keepers buying livebearers from pet shops and when they get problems with there fish and some times unexpected deaths. and then they put it down to being genetic due to inbreeding and not giving it a fault of were the fish came from and what conditions the fish as been keept in and gone through. And the different environments that the fish as gone through be for the fish keeper gets the fish home.

As Fish48 has said, I find that a proper care for a simple pet shop fish may not result in the fish itself improving very much, but the genetic effects are not present. My pet shop guppies have been allowed to breed in my own tanks, with proper water quality and feeding. When they are a size that permits me passing them along, they demand high prices because they have been bred and raised under good conditions of water and food. There is really nothing about them that is genetically superior, but they look great next to their pet shop parents. I allow them to become inbred and it does not seem to matter in the least.
Many disagreements in the scientific community come down to "nature vs nurture" questions, but in my own tanks, I find that there is really nothing wrong with pet shop fish except neglect by breeders and shops. I find the fish are really quite sound genetically.

Most reactions

Back