A difficult question...

RZS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

You have all offered excellent advice in the past, so I am turing to you all for a final decision.

My Angel (about four weeks ago) seemed to have been less active, as well, it was eating less. Most obvious however, was that it seemed to be more affected by the current (it would push the fish all around, even to the bottom of the tank at times and it wouldn't swim to correct itself).

In the last couple of days, I began to notice that my black swords were literally picking at it, even it's eyes. Then today, I noticed that almost all of my fish were picking at it, and that it wasn't defending itself, nor swimming away... it seemed almost motionless.

Now, it has "fallen" to the bottom of the tank, and is still breathing, but is not moving. In fact, it is now being protected by my other larger Angel (which is actually warding off other fish which come near it in the corner).

So after such a long post, I suppose my question is this... is it time to euthanise it?

And before anyone asks, water readings are normal:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate (minimal) less than 5
PH ~7.5

Thanks for your help in advance.

RZS :(

Yes I agree it dosn't sound to good, no physical sysmtoms it could be a bacteria desease, not good that it is resting on the bottom.

And now it is floating on it's side at the top of the tank... still breathing, still moving it's pectoral fins, but not much else.

I guess it's time to say goodbye.

Thanks for your input.... on another note however, is there a need to treat the tank if it is a bacterial infection? And if so, what do you recommend?

Thanks.

I think I would but not every body will agree, it depends what your location is on the med, in uk anti internal bacteria med by interpet, in the US marcyn spelt that wrong will check for you.

Maracyn is a bacteria med.

Hi,

I'm in Canada... but I'm sure I can get most products out of the US as well.

I'll see if I can locate Maracyn at my LFS.

Thanks again!

So.... Has the angel met his maker yet? I was advised 2 use clove oil on my very ill oscar... was quick and painles... i think.

Candyco said:
So.... Has the angel met his maker yet? I was advised 2 use clove oil on my very ill oscar... was quick and painles... i think.
Hi,

No, not yet, but most likely in the morning.

So what exactly did you do with the oil? Looking for the same type of result, painless and quick.

Thanks.

vodka, overdose of internal bacteria med, or sleeping tablet.

Most reactions

Back