A cleaner fish for dp's

samsung-401

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, I got some dwarf puffers recently, and I have noticed they are very messy eaters. I was wondering if there was a small fish that could go with them and help clean up the scraps. Maybe some kuhli's or gobies? I know that Dp's won't tollerate most fish but I thought I would ask anyway. :p

I know otocinclus work, but I haven't seen them in my lfs and I hear for the first month, they can be hard to keep alive. You can try shrimp and the puffers may or may not eat them. I'm probably going to try shrimps and if they get a good meal out of it, oh well, XD. I'd like to try cories if they really work, but my tank isn't big enough for that and cories don't fit the description of "fast swimming, semi-aggressive fish that will hold their own against them". I've heard of people having loaches with them, so if you're tank is big enough, you might want to try that.

if your lfs carries FW bumblebee gobies, they work great. also, ghost shrimp are excellent cleaners, though eventually some may become dinner, until then, they do a great job keeping the tank clean.

MAM said:
if your lfs carries FW bumblebee gobies, they work great. also, ghost shrimp are excellent cleaners, though eventually some may become dinner, until then, they do a great job keeping the tank clean.
Ghost shrimp would be great for 3 days :p Or less :lol:

actually, i put some in as food when i first got puffers. i had about half of them for many months before they were all eaten. until then, clean tank :lol:

Never had DPs, almost, I set up a tank and all that stuff, but couldn't find any :p Expeience is usually better than general knowledge :)

Depending on the size of the tank, I'd recommend bristlenoses. Dwarf puffers seem to totaly ignore them.

From experiance, I'd say no to cories, our got seriously trimmed dorsal and caudal fins, so we moved them out.

Most reactions

Back