A 7 Gallon Tank With 4 Plants And 1 Male Betta ...

beginner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If I keep just 1 male Betta in a 7 gallons (12 x 12 x 12) tank with 4 plants like Java fern (and no filter), would I need a full or partial water change? Also, how often would I need a water change?

50% once every 3-4 days with no filter. Why no filter? You can easily fit a small sponge filter to a tank that size ( they produce little to no current so it would not disturb the fish ) and have a far more stable biological cycle. WITH a filter on that tank you could do once to twice weekly 40% water changes no problem. Also, the more plants you have to help use up excess nitrate the better. It won't mean you have to do less water changes, but it will help in general and also give the fish more hiding spots. Cabomba is a great plant, as are Aponogentons , Amazon swords and Java moss.

Hello I have a 7gallon/35 litre tank with a male betta in, and im running in internal fluval 2 filter, which is plenty enough, and flow is adjustable on it

You will be much better off with a filter, and can pick one up real cheap

If you run it with a filter, once a week, of about 25%

If not id say every 3days of about 25%, a tank that size wont need mass amounts of water removed, if there is only ONE fish in there

Hello I have a 7gallon/35 litre tank with a male betta in, and im running in internal fluval 2 filter, which is plenty enough, and flow is adjustable on it

You will be much better off with a filter, and can pick one up real cheap

If you run it with a filter, once a week, of about 25%

If not id say every 3days of about 25%, a tank that size wont need mass amounts of water removed, if there is only ONE fish in there
Agreed entirely :good:

Thanks for your reply. I felt that 100% water changes would kill the beneficial bacteria. Even in an uncycled tank, such beneficial bacteria would build up over a time. And by doing a 100% water change this beneficial bacteria is being killed.

A full change once every two weeks.
No...... letting ammonia build up for 2 weeks to high levels and then getting rid of it entirely is not a solution. it needs to be removed consistently over time. This is poor advice and i urge you to know what you are talking about before you start advising other members. There is absolutely no reason to perform a 100% water change unless you are trying to cure disease or clean out a tank.

Thanks for your reply. I felt that 100% water changes would kill the beneficial bacteria. Even in an uncycled tank, such beneficial bacteria would build up over a time. And by doing a 100% water change this beneficial bacteria is being killed.
Responded to your PM as well, but figured this would be good for other members to see.

Without oxygenation, beneficial bacteria cannot grow. You need some sort of filtration or aeration with some sort of media for the bacteria to grow on. In an unfiltered tank, this cannot happen. It is true that there is some bacteria in the substrate, but not much... and again, it still would not have oxygen without water movement.

In an "uncycled" tank as you said, there is no bacteria. That is why the tank is "uncycled". There is no such thing as a cycled tank without a filter.

Even if you did have beneficial bacteria, changing the water 100% would not kill it so long as you used dechlorinated water.

A full change once every two weeks.

what utter rubbish, again I agree with Remz, unless you know what you are talking about, please try not to advise new members on something that you cannot give a correct answer to

To leave a 7gallon for 2weeks, without one water change is asking for trouble, not only the ammonia build up, but harmful bacteria too, the idea of the water changes is to remove any ammonia built up, and to dilute down background bacteria, which if left can start causing health problems

as I said, 25% every 3 days is more than suffient, and do not worry about killing the bacteria in the filter, as there is only so much it can consume, so doing these water changes isnt harming them at all, believe me, its how I run my 7gallon, and its been spot on for months

If you have any more questions feel free to ask away, me n remz, and other members are always to hand :good:

Asking for trouble, I think not. In my experience I've only done a complete water change once every two weeks in a 1 gallon tank and he lived for over 4 and half years. He's been happy, healthy, swims around, looks at me, and blowing bubbles all day long. I know what I am talking about, because in my experience it worked out. Just because its something you don't want to hear, it doesn't mean it's "Rubbish."

I'm not saying this is the only way. You can always clean it frequently, cleaning it every 3 days. (Doing 25% partial water changes) It's your choice.

Well congratulations for keeping your Betta alive in it's own poo for 4 years. Not really the best advice to give newbies who want to keep their Bettas in the best conditions possible.

We've tested the water that our jarred juveniles are in and it's shown ammonia spikes within 12 hrs. Which is why we changes their water twice a day!!!!

Well congratulations for keeping your Betta alive in it's own poo for 4 years. Not really the best advice to give newbies who want to keep their Bettas in the best conditions possible.

We've tested the water that our jarred juveniles are in and it's shown ammonia spikes within 12 hrs. Which is why we changes their water twice a day!!!!
Yes in those 4 years he's been suffering in his own poo. Developing diseases, being stressed, not swimming, not bubblenesting, etc.

Oh wait, nevermind.. that doesn't seem to be the case for my betta, he must be a super betta.. in fact he hasn't developed ANY diseases, he doesn't seem stressed (Swims, follows my movements, follows my finger, loves to eat), He swims all day except night time which is when he sleeps, and blows bubblenests all the time.

Oh yeah, he sure seems like he's suffering living all these years.

Yes in those 4 years he's been suffering in his own poo. Developing diseases, being stressed, not swimming, not bubblenesting, etc.

Oh wait, nevermind.. that doesn't seem to be the case for my betta, he must be a super betta.. in fact he hasn't developed ANY diseases, he doesn't seem stressed (Swims, follows my movements, follows my finger, loves to eat), He swims all day except night time which is when he sleeps, and blows bubblenests all the time.

Oh yeah, he sure seems like he's suffering living all these years.

Must have been lucky i guess? Its just not good practice really. A lot of newbies come on just to read through the posts to get advice. If they see that someone kept a betta for over 4 years in gallon container and only did water changes every 2 weeks, they may think that 3 weeks will do, or 4 weeks?? So thats why no one would advocate keeping them in this way.

How many bettas have you had? Just wondering if this was a single experience:)

Maybe it was luck, but I don't feel that it was.. I've had 3 bettas in total.

First one lived about 3 and a half years.

Second one lived about 5 years.

And Third one about four years.

I also have a friend who takes care of his betta the same way I did and his betta lived about 6 years.

You're not helping your case at all snapping back with a cocky attitude Rufuss.

From my experience, I ALSO KNOW that you do not know what you are talking about. It's always fun when people like you come around the forums with know-it-all mentalities.

The argument is not that we think your betta was suffering. The argument is that this is poor advice to be telling beginners. So get off your high-horse and think of the ramifications of what you are telling people that know absolutely nothing about betta care.

Most reactions

Back