78g Low Tech Planted - Pics

arulnathan

Reaction score
Hi all,

Would like to share my 78g low tech tank updates with you all.

Tank Capacity: 78g
Tank Dimension: 48Lx21Hx18W
Light : 1 wpg
Dosing: No C02 or Fertilizers
Flora: Cryptocoryne wendtii, Vallisneria, Echinodorus amazonicus, Nymphaea zenkeri, Anubias barteri, Microsorum pteropus & Aponogeton longiplumulosus.
Fauna: M.Boesemani, M.Parkinsoni, M.Praecox, Iriatherina werneri, G.incisus & Poecilia latipinna.

(Plants are in a container with 1.5 inches of soil, topped with 2 to 3 inches of gravel)

This is 1 month old tank as on 5th Aug. '07

Aqua_5Aug-1.jpg

After 6 months of development as on 1 Jan. '08

Aqua_1Jan_sm.jpg

This is the current update taken on 27 Nov. '08

ArulNathan.jpg

why are they in containers? the roots will eventually get too squashed.

Lovelly looking tank.

But I have to agree I dislike the unconventional potted approach. Whip them beautifully healthy looking plants out-a the containers, get a nice dark substrate in there and it would look fantatstic :D

Mike

at lkeast cover the 2 contains on the far left and right up, use some more wood, or get some sand in there, and use some MLR.

Maybe he is planning on this being a discus tank?!?! That may explain the containers...

Maybe he is planning on this being a discus tank?!?! That may explain the containers...
^^^^^^^^

Then again, maybe he is just obsessive-compulsive and tends to compartmentalize his experience...

Some people choose to use tubs/ pots, Diana Walstad uses this method (el natural), this way you ca keep replacing the substrate so it will always contain some nutrients.

First of all Seasons Greetings to you all... :) and thanks for your comments!

Well I used containers that was my first thought while staying in the rented flat, as moving around with gravel setup tank was a pain & destructive. And well said this concept was borrowed from Diana Walstad, and belive me it really helped me in moving around with this tank up and down from 4 storey buildings (without any Lift), was a miracle.

I managed to shift this tank from my 3rd floor flat to my new bought flat on the fifth floor and this shifting took less than 2 hours including dismantling and setting it up again.

Now settled and looking forward to setup a ADA Tank.

Regards
Nathan
check my Flickr Gallery

Must say there are some very nice looking plants in there! :)

Flickr pics are excellent, some favs ;).

Very nice work.

i cant beleive the crpyts out grew the echinodorus in that time span. nice setup if u wanna keep your tank ultra clean.

Most reactions

Back