70w Or 150w Mh

14gtr14

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've recently been planning a 15"x15x15 nano cube (roughly 15 gal) and I was wondering about metal halides (specifically floodlight versions). For 15 gallons would a 150w MH be a bit overkill and would 70w be more suited? Only problem would be that if I went with a 70w a would have to stick to the stock bulb and not an Arcadia. Does anyone know what Kelvin temperature a floodlight MH is?

thanks as always!

Most floodlight metal halides sold commercially are in the 5000k range, not exactly suited for marine tanks. Can you really not find a marine 70watt halide? If memory serves I've read of many people using them, so there has to be a place to find bulbs somewheres. You can use a 150watter but you'll have heat problems unless you go with an open-top with the light suspended at least 8" off the surface.

cheers ski

I looked on the Arcadia website and they sell 150W+ bulbs. I also had a look on a bulb suppliers website and they sell aquarium MH bulbs, again, they were 150W+.

I could maybe do a 150W, but surely the room will be illuminated a fair bit if it's 8" above the surface. Would there be any specific benefits from have 10wpg instead of 5wpg? Today my copy of " The Simple Guide to Mini-Reef Aquariums " (which is great!) and in there Jeffrey Kurtz states that it's a possibility that too much light could be detrimental to soft corals. Would you back this up, or is 10wpg still pretty safe?

EDIT- just found these on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HQI-70W-14K-DE-METAL...1QQcmdZViewItem
would you trust these? They come in 10000K 14000K and 20000K.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It is possible to have too much light for softies, you're not being lied to there. A 150 at the surface of the water would likely be too much, but if you backed it off high enough it should be fine. If you have respect for the light it can work.

I unfortunately can't get that link to work. Will try again in the morning. Btw, might want to ask adam crouch about 70watt halides, i'm pretty sure he lights his tank with one

Got it to work. The bulb looks ok, but tough to be 100% sure. I'd prolly go for a 14k

Edit: Now that I think about it, a 150watt 20k halide might look absoloutely stunning on a nano that size and wouldn't really be overkill from a PAR perspective

I might give them a shot- worth a gamble for 14 quid!

Thanks for the input ski. It sounds tempting :shifty: Although is 20000K very blue?

I might give them a shot- worth a gamble for 14 quid!

Thanks for the input ski. It sounds tempting :shifty: Although is 20000K very blue?

Yes and no. Every company's 20000k is a little different. Chances are if the bulb is affordable that their 20000k is more like 14000k ;). The heavy metals in the halide that make blue spectra are far more expensive than those that make daylight or white spectra

ok, i've got the chance of getting an arcadia 3 series 150w mini pendant for £75 OR buying a floodlight 150w metal halide for roughly £30-£50.

Is it worth paying more for the arcadia and going a bit over budget or buying a big muckle floodlight and going underbudget? (bearing in mind that if i go with a floodlight I might have heating issues and may need to invest in a few more fans!)

oh, while i'm here, will two screws in the wall hold up 5kg of floodlight??

Well, factor in the cost for replacing the floodlight with a bulb thats more suited for marine aquaria if you buy the floodlight... ;)

yup, i thought that last night actually. I managed to haggle the price down to £70 and he's delivering it too. Should have it by this afternoon.

Most reactions

Back