70L Algae Eater?

copps321

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Got a 70l that just has danios in it at the moment (until I move them to my 400l) but its been getting a lot of brown algae that I have just been scraping but seems to be back in a couple of days so I'm looking for some smaller species of algae eater.

Any suggestions

I was thinking of snails but would this be a problem with an open top tank?

Best off trying to cure the problem, not the symptoms.

Probably too much light getting in there.

Brown algae-diatoms are very normal in new tanks as the bacteria colony is not efficient enough and there are always traces of ammonia left, although not detectable on most tests.
If you are suffering with brown algae in an established old tank, then the tank maybe overstocked, or overfed, or just doesn't have an adequate filtration for the size of the tank and bioload, causing ammonia issues. Lack of circulation around the tank also doesn't help diatoms.

But then again in every tank there's a bit of algae and it's not necessarily a bad thing as it provides more natural food source for the fish. If you want a snail to help with cleaning while you are dealing with the issue, get nerite snails. They don't multiply in freshwater and will eat the diatoms too pretty efficiently.

this could be the problem i was thinking of upgrading my filter as it doesn't seem to create much flow. the lighting is 2 24W T5s (blue and white)
snazy said:
Brown algae-diatoms are very normal in new tanks as the bacteria colony is not efficient enough and there are always traces of ammonia left, although not detectable on most tests.
If you are suffering with brown algae in an established old tank, then the tank maybe overstocked, or overfed, or just doesn't have an adequate filtration for the size of the tank and bioload, causing ammonia issues. Lack of circulation around the tank also doesn't help diatoms.

But then again in every tank there's a bit of algae and it's not necessarily a bad thing as it provides more natural food source for the fish. If you want a snail to help with cleaning while you are dealing with the issue, get nerite snails. They don't multiply in freshwater and will eat the diatoms too pretty efficiently.

the lighting is 2 24W T5s (blue and white)

70L tank with 2x24W? Is your tank planted, and do you introduce any source of carbon? Otherwise that's way too much light for a tank. I'd take one bulb out because diatoms are not the worse algae that can happen is such high light conditions.

Pretty sure that's the lighting 2 T5s that are 2ft in length, can't take 1 bulb out as then unit don't work. But I could change it for the original lid that has 1 T8 if that's any better?

copps321 said:
Pretty sure that's the lighting 2 T5s that are 2ft in length, can't take 1 bulb out as then unit don't work. But I could change it for the original lid that has 1 T8 if that's any better?

If you've got no plants, than that's the better option.

It does have plants, so if the 1 T5 is better ill just buy a fitting and put 1 in the lid instead of the T8 if I can't remove 1 from the current unit and still have it working will check today

A 70 litre is way too small for ancistrus pleco, at least in my point of view.
I'd fix the lights first, as diatoms isn't common in a balanced setup, so it should go away once the cause is fixed.

took 1 of the bulbs out so only have 1 now, and i already have 4 ancistrus in my 400l

I'd go for ottos if anything. But you'll have to find a balance with the lighting to avoid too much algae :)

Most reactions

Back