600l Tank - Finally Built - Day Three Pics And Update

Just a short update and some new pics to let you guys see what's happening with the tank.

Apologies in advance. The photos are really poor quality, as I can't deal with the flash without bringing the white balance down really low on the camera, hence everything looks really dark. I will get a polarising filter before I next post.

The aquascaping has had a re-jig, but I'm still not happy with it. The left habd side of the tank seems OK, but I don't like the right hand side.

fullshot.jpg

The tank cycled in 10 days flat, which was really fast. I added my WCMM's as the ammonia source, and about 50% of the contents of the old external filter driving my small tank.

I also fixed the fluid bed filter, which is now running really well, but I need to sort out the plumbing properly, as it's messy as hell at the moment. Tank silicone didn't work, so I ended up gluing it all togther with superglue.

fitration.jpg

fbf.jpg

My current stock is as follows:

8 x neon tetras
5x corys ( 2x shwartzi, 2x jullii, 1 x bronze laser )
4x endlers ( male )
2x flag festivum cihlid
3x congo tetra's

The fish didn't all get added at once, they have been dribbled in over the last couple of weeks. Water stats are fantastic, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate after 2 weeks without a water change. Testing every day shows that I never had an ammonia spike since the cycle finished. I didn't believe this at first, so I got a secnd test kit, and boh showed deep green each time.

The festivums have colonised my big log at the left hand side. They are really cool fish, they swim and act like angels, but don't seem to have the aggression issues. Right now the two I have ( two females I think/hope ) are tiny, but will grow to about the size of your hand.

grow1.jpg

(apologies for bad pic, I have no idea hat happened here )

The cory's have taken over the right hand side of the tank with the sand and the smaller wood pile. They seem to love checking everythin out. They womble round the area as a group of five, with occasional forays around the rest of the tank.

grow3016.jpg

However, when the lights go out, they move into the split in the tree truck on the left hand side of the tank.

The congos and the neons seem to love having lots of room to swim. The neon's often form a shoal and follow the congo's around, which is fun to watch.

grow3012.jpg

Things that still ned to happen:

Sort out plumbing in garage
re-plant <anyone got any suggestions?>
finish stocking
trim the bottom of the tank with a wood veneer to hide polystyrene

Plan for next tank!!!!

Stocking will be as follows ( a lot of the fish currently in the tank will eventually go, mostly to DazPricy on this forum - darren! come and get your fish!! )

12 x congo tetra's
8x lemon tetra's
8x black widow tetra's
1 x male bistlenose
1x bulldog plec
15x dancing shrimp
15 x amaro shrimp
6x armoured shrimp
10x corys ( mixture of types )
6 x coolie loaches
2x festivum cichlids

Possibly:

Panchax
hatchetfish for the top

black doradid or armoured catfish
elephant nose for the bottom.

However, the more reading I do about elephant noses, the more difficult they seem to keep.

Once again, sorry for the bad photo's, they will be better next time.

Steve

Wonderful tank!!!!

I have cycled my tank with wcmm's too! how many did you have?

Im really liking your choice of fish, will be a very entertaining setup.

Wonderful tank!!!!

I have cycled my tank with wcmm's too! how many did you have?

Im really liking your choice of fish, will be a very entertaining setup.

What are WCMM's??? :(

Fabulous tank too. :)

You have a great tank tere. I also use the Eheim pro 3 external filter for my tank. I must agree that hey are unbelievably MASSIVE!!! lol

thanks for all the responses.

Yes, WCMM's are White Cloud Moutain Minnows. 4 of the shoal I have are pretty much the first fish I've ever owned. They are supposed to be sub-tropical, but mine have been living at 24 degrees since the week after I got my biOrb many moons ago.

The do seem to be the most hardy fish that I've come accross. Mine are about twice the size that they are normally supposed to grow to. 2 of them are over 2.5". I'd definately reccommend them for cycling a tank.

Anyone have any planting suggestions?

Steve

Most reactions

Back