60 Gallon Tank Setup

jtino

Reaction score
This is what I have for a 60 gallon tank setup so far. Let me know if there are any concerns or if I should add anything else for equipment. I’m new to this big of a tank so I’m providing as much detail as possible.

Tank: Clear for Life 60 Gallon Acrylic tank with black background. 48L x 15W x 20H. The tank will have plants, driftwood, and caves as décor.
Substrate: Light colored or Black sand. Not sure if the fish would look okay with black sand and a black background
Filter: Fluval 407 Cannister Filter
Power Head

Stocking:

1 Red Tail Shark
12 Tiger Barbs
2 Female Kribensis Cichlids – I don’t want any breeding, so I don’t know if not having a male will be a problem.
5 Redline Torpedo Barbs

Would the RTS and the Torpedo Barbs be okay together?

Hi and a very belated welcome to the forum :)

I can't believe nobody responded to this thread.

Fish are fine on dark substrates and usually show better colour when kept in tanks with dark substrates and dark backgrounds.
If you have black fish, use a dark blue or green background.

If you haven't bought the redtail shark yet, then get a rainbow shark instead. They have a black body with red fins, vs the redtail shark with black body, black fins, and a red tail. The rainbow sharks are more peaceful than the redtail shark.

Rainbow sharks also come in a white/ albino form that has a cream coloured body with red fins.

----------------------
Two female kribensis should be ok together in your tank due to its size, but they might produce eggs. The eggs won't be fertile so you won't get any young.

The redline/ torpedo barbs should be ok with a redtail or rainbow shark but you will have to monitor the shark. They become highly territorial when they mature and any fish that resembles the shark and lives near the shark's territory can be attacked. A rainbow shark would be less inclined to attack the roseline barbs but still might.

thank you for the feedback. i think im going to skip the tiger barbs and just do the RTS and a school of 6-8 torpedo barbs for now. Could i still fit 2 female Kribs in this tank or would i be overstocked? Also, the background of the tank is already black so i have been looking into sunset gold sand.

You could add 2 Kribensis, just have caves at each end of the tank and in the middle so they have plenty of hiding places.

Nice choice dude, I have my 120 gallon saltwater tank for my dogfaced puffer with black sand and back of tank is painted black.. It hides all the gear of the tank well plus the colors of all the fish pop!!! its beautiful. Love black on black

You could add 2 Kribensis, just have caves at each end of the tank and in the middle so they have plenty of hiding places.
Thanks! I think im going with RTS, 8 Redline Torpedo Barbs, and 2 female Kribs. Or maybe a school of Odessa Barbs to replace the Kribs. I'll put the RTS in the tank last due to its territorial nature

Most reactions

Back