6 X 2 X 2 Tropical Tank With Sump

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nick1200

Moved On
Reaction score
Ok so i had and still have a 4ft x 1.5 x 1.5 tank . I moved to a bigger house and was thinking i have enough room to get a bigger tank so a friend was gonna put his 6 x 2 x 2 up fro sale on ebay. But has soon has he put it up for sale the tank started to leak in the one corner of the tank. We had a look at it and it was the silicone which had gone. So he asked me if i wanted to buy it and i jumped at the chance. So i had to arrange a courier to move it for me and in the progress of moving it the  courier slide up up my steps going into my home and cracked the tank....

kLmL4q5.jpg

So then i thought it can be fixed so got it into the house and then had to flip it over by my self to try and knock the broken glass and silicone it up and keep my fingered crossed. At this point i thought id get my sump up and running and let it cycle while i repaired the tank and wait for more money to build a wall .

Jivr2Sv.jpg

TgnAYAz.jpg

Be for anyone asks i will add more filter media to the sump so don't worry
sleep.png

And here is a image of the fixed bit of the tank
hB5NXI8.jpg

Im gutted for you! Really hope you get it fixed, could need a new pane of glass though

trust me the courier company will not refund  i paid them more to get more of there " team to come and help out " but when they arrived they told me they are 5 hours late for there next job so i would have to help my self... even tho i told them i am paying extra to get more hands. I have bought extra strong fish tank silicone so got to wait another 24 hours be for filling and hope there is no leaks...

Its not "if" it leaks but more "when". Silicone repairs are a temp fix at best. Better to replace pane or use tank as a terrium only.

Were the tank is cracked to its on the end of the glass. There is a tiny hole the size of a needle . All the rest is covered by the top glass. The crack is were the 2 glass panes meet. Could i also ask how is it a temp fix ? I thought they used silicone to seal all tanks ?

Just a quick update the external filter i was using for the sump went pop. I waited 48 hours after adding the silicone and filled the tank up this morning and no leaks. I am gonna leave it full for a few days to see if the pressure makes it leak but its looking good so far.

So just thought id update this i have bought some blocks and made a stand for the tank here are some images

8oRzglT.jpg

KMKm8Ya.jpg

8zxN4V5.jpg

2pvRxYi.jpg

This is under the left side of the tank
I0DIlY7.jpg

This is under the right side of the tank

O5fi0u0.jpg

I am now waiting for more blocks so i can support the middle of the tank be for i fill it up
winner.gif

great i like the idea of using blocks instead of wood for support

ncguppy830 said:
great i like the idea of using blocks instead of wood for support
Thanks i have a 4ft in my living room on a wooden stand and it seems to be starting to slope so i thought id go with blocks for this 6ft so i know that it won't ever move or give way. I just wish i could fill the tank up but with no surport for the middle of the tank i think it is best to wait till i get more blocks to support the middle of the tank

I would be careful with that stand you want bricks under all the worktop - all the way to the front - like you have on the right - the left hand corner looks like it sticks out a little?

I would probably do four sets of bricks under that.

Wills

yes i just moved the left hand side lot of bricks so they kind of come out like the right hand side. Do you think i need bricks in the middle ? The problem i have is i have filled the tank up half way and it looks like it is supporting the weight...

I only have four stacks of bricks under mine but i'm also supported by 6x6 beams on top of the bricks so its a little different situation.. lol

This is how i have it set up

dunno if it helps at all but i hope you get it all sorted out and the tank stays sealed up. nice lookin tank :)

Most reactions

Back