6 month limit

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OohFeeshy

It's only forever; not long at all...
Reaction score
Obviously we've all noticed the squillions of people with no posts. Well, wouldn't it free up much more space if any users that don't post in six months or so have their account deleted? Yes, some people leave fish keeping for a while then come back, but its easy enough to make a new account. The only missing thing would be post count. As for lurkers, this might encourage them to post. Comments?

I think that is the best ideal yet. They are some people join just in order to vote in the contests also. I think that would be the best thing to do is to delete their account... :whistle: :whistle: :clap: :clap:

DevilsAdvocate said:
I see no point, they arent hurting anybody.
No, but they take up space and play no function whatsoever on TFF. As Angel Lady said, I know there are no OTM's anymore, but I don't think voting uses any post counts up and accounts with no posts for ages can be used for this voting malarky.

Honestly, who really cares enough to want to go through and delete all the people who dont post after 6 months? Come on...I got better things to do to be honest. :unsure: As im sure all the mods do aswell. :/

Im pretty sure this sort of thing has been discussed a zillion times before too..with nothing coming of it. I cant see why it bothers everyone so much...oh my the poll is a fix!111 :lol: really...its just not worth the effort.

DevilsAdvocate said:
Honestly, who really cares enough to want to go through and delete all the people who dont post after 6 months?
no one does. but there's a setting on the board that can automatically cull anyone inactive for blank amount of time.

as often as this sort of weeding out gets suggested, i'm sure william has a good (if secret) reason for not paring down the roll. i don't know and i don't care what that reason is; i have faith in the decisions of our administrative volunteers. :thumbs:

I do agree but

what happens if something bad happend and you still want to keep your account but you have to leave for abit?

and who will have time to delete them all!!!!!!

i think a year would be much more resonable....i know the only time i frequent the board is when i am working full time....when internships are done, i'm not posting much and dont have the time to visit....for instance, i was away from the board for 7 months before this internship...

I think that is a great idea, as long as the person is notified via e-mail that their account will be shut down in *insert time limit here* unless they post something in TFF. That way, they have the option to just post something and go on with their lives until they have time to be a part of the forum again.

The problem is that the mods don't feel this is that important. This question has been pressed many times, but it has never been seen through to the end.

Granted, it feels cheap, having so many members but having only .25 of them active, tops.

And of course, if the accounts were to be deleted, the posts would be deleted (unless there is an option that bypasses that) and that would be lost--something that no one wants. (sarcasm? hmm... maybe? :dunno: *confused*)

I was taking about the members who just join to vote in the contests with only one post or so who never come back.

Angel Lady said:
I was taking about the members who just join to vote in the contests with only one post or so who never come back.
and how do you know who those people are? who is going to do the work of hunting them down?

we would exclde the people who would want to come back, the lurkers too, it doesn't hurt much to have em in the system, the posts take up alot more space and we arent deleting those.

They aren't doing too much harm fortunately- the benefits of deleting them are really pretty miniscule from resources saved as said previously. Whether size matters- and people see 11,000 members and think wow what an active forum I'll sign up- it must be good! (suckers...!). It could have

I think more proactive steps to get the new people who bother to register to post would be more helpful. Currently we could really do with a newbie guide to the forums, something on my to do list but if anyone else wants to help out would be appreciated.

Another possibility is sending out a newsletter to all members on the forum (by email) - would anyone have a problem with this? Potentially - if it's a success we could perhaps do a biannual newsletter detailing updates here on TFF for your inbox- or would that upset people?

Most reactions

Back