6 mollies in a 14 litre tank

sudbates

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 14 litre tank and I put 6 mollies(3 balloon mollies and 3 assorted mollies). I have a filter capacity 400L/Hr. Is it too cramped up for them, should i buy a seperate bowl and transfer a couple of fishes into the bowl?
Please advice.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 238
Yes, the tank is much too small for even one molly over time. This fish requires at least a 30-inch (75 cm) length tank, but preferably a 36 inch (90 cm) long tank. Males attain 3 inches/7.6 cm, females close to five inches/12 cm, some reaching six inches.

Hi! 14 liters is just over 3 and half gallons I believe? Much too small for anything other than shrimp and snails unfortunately:no: I would not recommend getting a bowl for them. A bowl will
1. Also be very small
2. Will give you no way to provide filtration

I would recommend either rehoming the mollies or purchasing a 20 gallon long tank (at the very LEAST) so all 6 could live in it together. If that is not an option, the best thing to do may be to rehome them and pick out some fun shrimp, plants, snails, and decor for the 14 liter tank!

Last edited:
As stated above, that tank is much too small for that amount of fish and bioload.

is it actually a 14 litre tank because it looks bigger in the picture?

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

-------------------
There appears to be a swordtail and a platy in the tank with a couple of mollies.

Live plants help keep the water cleaner by using nutrients.
Some fish will graze on plants and that is good for them.
Live plants will reduce algae growth.

is it actually a 14 litre tank because it looks bigger in the picture?

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these so you get a more accurate water volume.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

-------------------
There appears to be a swordtail and a platy in the tank with a couple of mollies.
Hi,
Tank size is 30x25x20=15L
Current water volume in tank is 30x20x20=12L
All 6 are mollies, 3 balloon mollies and 3 assorted mollies.

Hi,
I have a 14 litre tank and I put 6 mollies(3 balloon mollies and 3 assorted mollies). I have a filter capacity 400L/Hr. Is it too cramped up for them, should i buy a seperate bowl and transfer a couple of fishes into the bowl?
Please advice.
The tank is too cramped up.

I recommend AT LEAST 10g for up to four mollies but that is if you have filter capacity and tip top water care.

I would try to find a new tank or return the mollies.

TopFin 10g sets are actually 11.5g and can run at around 60-85 USD. I always recommend TopFin, they have very high quality.

10 gallons is still too small. Mollies need a tank at least 3 feet long. They are not small fish. As Byron pointed out, females can grow to 5 inches.

All 6 are mollies, 3 balloon mollies and 3 assorted mollies.
Can you post pictures of all the fish showing them from the side?

TopFin 10g sets are actually 11.5g and can run at around 60-85 USD. I always recommend TopFin, they have very high quality.
The OP is from Australia, not sure if they have TopFin here.
But a 30inch tank isn't that expensive and would be a much better choice.

Most reactions

Back