56 litre tank fish advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

danaf

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a 56 litre tank. Can anyone give any recommendations as to what fish would live in a tank that size? I was thinking 2 or 3 pea puffers.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Last edited:
Hello :)
I'm very new to fishkeeping, but the water in my area of Scotland is soft, if that helps at all.
ph? around 7.4 is good for them i read (ONLINE)

Hello :)
I'm very new to fishkeeping, but the water in my area of Scotland is soft, if that helps at all.
This may not be the best fish for your water then, but if you get the numbers we will be in a better position.
PH testers come with the API freshwater master test kit which is a good kit if you are new to fish keeping. Run a glass of tap water and leave it for 24 hours for the gas to balance, then test pH.
The GH tester is seperate but your water providers web page should include the GH on the water quality report. It's not usually worth buying a GH test kit as it remains stable.

This may not be the best fish for your water then, but if you get the numbers we will be in a better position.
PH testers come with the API freshwater master test kit which is a good kit if you are new to fish keeping. Run a glass of tap water and leave it for 24 hours for the gas to balance, then test pH.
The GH tester is seperate but your water providers web page should include the GH on the water quality report. It's not usually worth buying a GH test kit as it remains stable.
Thats fine, I'll grab the test and see where we're at with the water. I'll update when I know. Thank you! :)

You could also try taking a sample of your water to your LFS! They will usually test it for free. Also, I loveeee the idea of pea puffers! That is a really fun idea

If you have soft water, you can consider a combination of some small fish and shrimps.

1)Chili(Mosquito) Rasboras, Dwarf(Maculata) Rasboras or Blue Axelrodi Rasboras (about 10-20)
2)Shrimps - Cherry or Fire Red or Super Blue or Yellow (about 20-30)

Get some driftwoods, fast growing plants (Anacharis Elodea, Hornworts, Cabomba-need more light) and Java Moss.
Driftwoods and Plants provide more surface areas for biofilms to grow.
Shrimps feed on the biofilm.

I don't recommend Puffer fish because they are not peaceful fish and you will have limited choices with them.

Some info:

Last edited:
You could also try taking a sample of your water to your LFS! They will usually test it for free. Also, I loveeee the idea of pea puffers! That is a really fun idea
my lps(petsmart) uses strips, i am just confused... they are sponsored by api... come on guys!!

my lps(petsmart) uses strips, i am just confused... they are sponsored by api... come on guys!!
I think the strips are just not quite as accurate or reliable. Of course they are better than nothing, but I think when it comes to quality and reliability the liquid test kits are better. Much more time consuming, but better. I meant that your LFS will test the GH

I think the strips are just not quite as accurate or reliable. Of course they are better than nothing, but I think when it comes to quality and reliability the liquid test kits are better. Much more time consuming, but better. I meant that your LFS will test the GH
yeah, not always very accuratae since sometimes they are near THEIR tanks, which evaporate and disturb the strips

Ohhhhh, sorry I literally just got what you were saying. That took me a while!

@danaf Most of Scotland has very soft water, though there are a few exceptions. Scottish Water does make it tricky to find the exact number. First you have to enter your postcode here https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/Your-Home/Your-Water/Water-Quality/Water-Quality to find the name of your supply zone, then download the Water Hardness Data 2019 document from here https://www.scottishwater.co.uk/Help-and-Resources/Document-Hub/Key-Publications/Water-Quality then look for your supply zone. If you do all that, can you tell us the number in the German degrees column. (Ignore the words they use in the last column)

Assuming it is very soft to soft, there are many different fish to choose from.

Most reactions

Back