55 Gal Big Enough?

Zeoth

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Some 55gal's are going pretty cheap around here, so before i get em, i was wondering if this stock is suitable for a standard rectangular 55Gallon(US)

red oscar,
jack dempsey,
cobalt blue cichlid,
yellow lab, (or will it get bullied? )
pleco,

Pleco can be outsted out to make room for other mbuna's or if it's over stocked. Also please include how you would have stocked it. :)

your asking for trouble mixing american cichlids with african cichlids imo

the oscar alone would fill the 55gal

I too dislike the idea of mixing old and new world fish.

May I ask OP why you wish to do that?
Iam not trying to be unplesant Iam just intrigued.

doris

Generally, from my experience with chiclids (other than discus) ack dempseys do not do well with other fish, it is very aggressive and will harass and eventuall, eat the smaller tank mates. If you ask me the jack dempsey is more of a single specimen species. That's My opinion of course, if you have had better luck with them than I had, then go ahead, it's fine with me.
;)

i see, so no Oscars for me. okay. umm... What type of mbuna would u recommend stocking it with?

A much better question. :good:

You can pretty much take your pick - a 55 gal is a great size tank for most Mbuna - compability of the different species should be your main concern. The best thing you can do now is research what you like the look of and more importantly - what you can get hold of and post back here with your suggestions to get some advice on compatibility and stocking levels etc.

sorry guys, my dad said he doesn't want to fill it with mduna's or any freshwater fish. he wants it salt water >__> even though i told him there expensive & sensitive, but hes the one paying forthe tank so... Ah well, u cant have everything :(

sorry guys, my dad said he doesn't want to fill it with mduna's or any freshwater fish. he wants it salt water >__> even though i told him there expensive & sensitive, but hes the one paying forthe tank so... Ah well, u cant have everything :(

saltwater is more entertaining i find with my hundred gallon

saltwater is more entertaining i find with my hundred gallon

yea but still, i dont think im quite ready for that kind of care and maintainence. Just gonna try and stick with mbuna's :p

Most reactions

Back