5 Tanks In To 2 (cutting Down) But What To Keep And With Who?

deanrar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have 5 tanks but have recently moved house so am cutting down to just the 2 tanks, i've already traded a few fish to lfs around but now can't decide what to keep.

1 tank in 90 litre 2 footer and 1 is a 130 litre tall 2 footer.

The fish i still have left are a few kuhli loach, clown loach, golden loach and sucking loach (will be going when I can catch them) and some mountain shrimp and apple snails.
I also have 8 glass catfish, a few golden/blue panchax, a blue/three spot gourami, kribs, a bolivian ram, an angel fish and a couple of male fighters which I tought would be nice to have in a community tank if possible.

With these i was wanting to get some hatchet fish for one tank and red phantom tetra for 1 tank aswell, from these which fish do you think i should keep and which have to go, I was looking to have all levels in both tanks covered eg,

top level: panchax in one tank and hatchets in the other

Middle level: red phantoms one and glass cats the other

Bottom: clowns one and kuhlis and golden loaches the other

with the angel, ram, gourami and or krib going where they please in either tank.

I think the top middle bottom levelers should be fine but can't decide which to keep from the angel, ram, krib/s and gourami as from what i've read none are particularly compatible and getting my male fighters in the tanks may just be out of the question.

Any ideas would be welcome

I don’t think the tanks will be big enough for an angelfish. They are probably high enough but not really long enough (being only 2ft long).
Blue/ 3 spot gourami should go as should the kribensis. A 2ft tank is fine for breeding Kribensis but a 2ft community isn’t really big enough for them.

Are you getting rid of all these fish or only the sucking loach? (kuhli loach, clown loach, golden loach and sucking loach)
I wouldn’t bother keeping the clown loaches because they get too big for the tanks.
Depending on what the sucking loach is will determine whether or not you keep it. A Chinese Algae eater, aka sucking loach, should be returned to the shop.

top level: panchax in one tank and hatchets in the other. That’s fine
Middle level: red phantoms one and glass cats the other. That’s fine
Bottom: clowns one and kuhlis and golden loaches the other. Modify this

i know the glass cats love my tall 130 litre so they would love yours

hi, still got the puffers but in a tank that will be staying with me parents, they'r still going great, but have got a seperater in the tank coz 2 didnt get on.

and kuhli's staying sucking loach going and did want to keep the clowns but will probably wait a bit and see what i can get from the lfs for them, most likely cories of some kind

if i get rid of the angel, krib (can go with his bro's and sis's to the lfs) and gourami, what other fish could i replace them with, to be like a center of attraction to the tank, as in being a bit bigger with more personality than the schooling fish?

Aww... is that little madam still causing trouble? Sorry I asked :blush: It's only because if I had to get rid of some of my tanks, my DPs would be the absolute last to go ^_^ :p

Right i'm fairly sorted just need some opinions on numbers for the groups of fishies.

top level: tank 1 - hatchets not sure how many Tank 2 - panchax (got 3 thinking of upping to 6)

Middle level: red phantoms one (thinking about 10 - 12?) glass cats got 8

Bottom: Bronze and albino cories (6-10?) kuhlis so far 5 and golden loaches so far 2

Do these numbers sound about right for group sizes and still can't decide which lot to put in tall and which to put in the normal height tank and as i said in a previous message, in either tank would there be any more different fish to put in to add something a bit different to the schoolers

hatchetfish can be kept in groups of 4 or more, so if you have the money then get 4.
god panchax can get big (4inches) so probably stay with 3 of them (1m & 2f). Blue panchax and other msall panchax species can be kept in groups with 6 or so individuals.

red phantoms need to be kept in groups of at least 6, preferably 10 or more.
Glass cats are fine as a group of 8

6 cories will be fine unless you want bronze and albino then get 4 of each.
not sure what the gold loaches are so won't comment on them.

Most reactions

Back