5 gallon tank ideas!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’ve probably done what everyone in this group has done at some point and bought a smaller tank as a quarantine tank only to want to convert it into a new tank. It’s clearly a veryy small tank so any ideas on what to do with it would be appreciated. My water parameters are GH of 160, PH of around neutral and Ofc 0ppm nitrites, ammonia etc and I have a heater but would prefer fish or invertebrates in a temp range of 16-27 degrees? Any fun ideas?

The only fish suitable for a 5 gallon is a betta.
Or a shrimp and snail tank.
Thats it.

I was considering either a betta tank or a planted cherry shrimp tank. Which do you think would be better?
Bettas are fun honestly. I know that bettas aren't community fish and that should be alone, but you could try adding couple of cherry shrimp with the betta and see if they will get on together. You've got another tank just in case?

Yeah got a standard 20 gallon with cherry shrimp currently doing well. I think I will get a crow tail betta just so beautiful really

Yeah got a standard 20 gallon with cherry shrimp currently doing well. I think I will get a crow tail betta just so beautiful really
All bettas are beatiful, I had a betta named, Candy, he sadly passed away from dropsy and he was my favorite and he was just a regular blue plakat male with white patches around his mouth and head. He really was a candy!

And then you could put cherries in your 20 gallon if this is not gonna work out between your shrimp and your betta.
With Candy it worked out pretty well, never had any problems.

If they were good community fish you’d probably see them in every aquarium internationally the hardiness and colouration can’t be beat

And sparkling gouramis, and maybe white clouds.
5 gallon is too small for white clouds, they are an active shoaling fish that need tanks with far more length than a 5 gallon provides.
Smallest id go for two sparkling gourami is probably 7 gallons. 5 is a little cramped for them they are very inquisitive fish who like to explore not much to explore in a 5 gallon.
Some betta keepers may even argue a 5 is too small for a betta.
5 gallons is the same size bucket i use to change my water. How many fish would one keep in a 5 gallon bucket???
5 gallon is suitable for shrimp and snails and a betta and thats about it really.
Maybe a pom pom micro crab

5 gallon is too small for white clouds, they are an active shoaling fish that need tanks with far more length than a 5 gallon provides.
Smallest id go for two sparkling gourami is probably 7 gallons. 5 is a little cramped for them they are very inquisitive fish who like to explore not much to explore in a 5 gallon.
Some betta keepers may even argue a 5 is too small for a betta.
5 gallons is the same size bucket i use to change my water. How many fish would one keep in a 5 gallon bucket???
5 gallon is suitable for shrimp and snails and a betta and thats about it really.
Maybe a pom pom micro crab
I agree with @utahfish 5 gallons it too small for anything else but a Betta, snails and shrimp. It is like living in a closet, no real room to swim.

Guys what about pygmy sunfish? You can have a pair in a 5

Most reactions

Back