5–6-Year-Old Goldfish seems very sick, please help

Rupert The Goldfish

Reaction score
I'm a new member to this forum, and I joined because my goldfish seems to have the following symptoms: White stuff on skin and gills, struggling to move properly, and ignoring food. We put in a new filter just a few minutes ago. He didn't have most of these symptoms until around 1 hour ago. He's falling onto his side every couple of minutes or so, and he has developed a white, fuzzy, stringlike "hair" on his body. Can anyone help me? P.S.: We know he probably has ich, and we've been treating him for it. Is there any other disease, bacteria, etc. I don't know of yet? Please respond quickly.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Pictures and video of the fish?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the aquarium water?
What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How long has the tank been set up for?
What are you treating the fish with?

-------------------
White spot looks like little grains of salt sprinkled over the fish.

Excess mucous can look like the fish is covered in a cream or white film and bits of white string come off the fins. This is normally caused by poor water quality, chemicals or external protozoan parasites.

If the tank is new (less than 2 months old) and you change the filter media/ materials, you probably have ammonia or nitrite problems and that is the cause.

-------------------
Stop adding chemicals

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until we know what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-------------------

Excess mucous can look like the fish is covered in a cream or white film and bits of white string come off the fins. This is normally caused by poor water quality, chemicals or external protozoan parasites.

If the tank is new (less than 2 months old) and you change the filter media/ materials, you probably have ammonia or nitrite problems and that is the cause.

-------------------
Stop adding chemicals

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day until we know what is going on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.
Thanks a ton. I'm going to check these things.

-------------------

-------------------
Stop adding chemicals
get_hangouts_attachment_url

Pictures of: food, ich treatment, and the tank and fish itself (he knocked over a bunch of the decorations recently) Filter: AQUA-TECH Power Filter. Tank is about 2 months old, give or take about a week. Going to check nitrate, nitrite, Ph, and ammonia soon. Filter cleaned about once a month, but we just put in this new one. The old one was cleand by replacing a part and rinsing. P.S. He's lying down again.

What type of filter do you have?
Don't replace your filter media. If your filter has cartridges, replace them with re-ususable sponge filter media that you can clean in tank water. You can also put a sponge pre-filter on your intake. This will retain the BB (Beneficial bacteria).

I need pictures of the fish so I can see it and try to work out what is wrong with it.

If pictures don't load up, take a video of the fish and upload it to YouTube. Then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a mobile phone to take the video, hold the phone horizontally so the video fills up the entire screen and not just the middle section.

Most reactions

Back