4ft betta tank - Complete build

BetterWithBettas

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I have a previous post throwing the idea out there whether I should turn our recently unused 4ft -formally a community tank - into a Betta tank. I went ahead with the build and thought I would post a new thread with how the build turned out! Once again, thank you to all who helped me with this from my previous post!

He was in a 75litre prior to this! I originally had the 4ft rearranged differently but last night moved everything around, added some more hardscape and plants and now feel it is complete! The tank is so big that when I was moving things Elvis was just exploring the other end of the tank! So cute :) This is how Elvis's new 4ft tank turned out:
20200204_080041.jpg
20200204_080439.jpg

For those interested here is a list of the plants that I used, I went for a jungle theme in the tank and hope that once the plants establish they will look really lush :) Many you can't see very well as they are all similar in size but hopefully in time it will look a little nicer/noticable.

- java fern (2 types, standard type and needle leaf java fern)
-bylxa in the foreground, hoping it will bush out and make a nice feature in the front of the tank
- dwarf hair grass
- crypt wendetti
- anubias, unsure of which type but a tall variety
- Echinodorus frilly
- Echinodorus rose
- Jungle Val
- 2 banana Lilly
- another type of Lilly which grows similar to banana Lilly but has tri-colour leaves
- Cardamine lyrata
- Amazon sword, unsure of what type sorry but it's in the right hand corner of the tank
- lace fern
- red tiger lotus, there are 4 plants in there but some are nessled in the background and need to grow out
- green tiger lotus
- java moss
- frog bit
- duck weed
- moss balls

Hardscape is just driftwood, I did have some lava rock in there but removed it.

Elvis lives with 5 nerite snails. He's a feisty little boy so I doubt he will ever live with anything else. He once lived with a mystery snail in his 75L but upon moving into his bigger tank decieded he no longer wanted to share with Wilfred so unfortunately Wilfred had to be moved to another tank and was not able to enjoy the upgrade!

Equiptment used:
- 2 lights both aqua one, one is 38W and the other is 10W
- 2 internal filters, Aquatopia Internal Filter 400 (up to 400L, 500L/hr), baffled + another small internal filter, unknown brand but it came with the tank kit he was previously in, baffled as well but mostly added to transfer bb
- 2 heaters, 1 x 300 W and the other 100W (back up heater mostly)

The tank is around 267Litres

Substrate is a sand and gravel mix and I use root tabs for the plants !

Thanks for reading! Critiques welcome :)

Last edited:
Looking great!
If you wanna add more non fish, shrimp would be pretty chill
Thank you! I do have a shrimp tank so I may move some in once they overpopulate their current tank!! Knowing Elvis he will definitely eat them, but some may survive with the amount of cover they will have :)

Ok ,I know there is a Betta in there somewhere.:D Nice, he sure has plenty of room to swim:fish:
I fear I won't ever be able to keep a Betta in a smaller tank due to the guilt of knowing another is living in this size tank haha :p:eek: best not to think about that just yet though! I don't want to get addicted to having 4ft tanks everywhere o_O

Hi all! It's been a while since I've been online but thought I'd log in and while I'm here, give an update on Elvis's tank. It's about 5 months old now and the layout has been changed a bit plus some plants have died, some added and some have REALLY taken off :D Elvis is still kicking and ruling over his kingdom and over his assorted squires :p which now consists of shrimp, mystery snails and nerite snails (the floating container on the surface is a few more that I'm currently acclimating)
20200616_181336.jpg
20200518_172122.jpg

Hope everyone has been staying safe and with all the craziness going on, sitting back and enjoying their tanks :)

Last edited:
Hi all! It's been a while since I've been online but thought I'd log in and while I'm here, give an update on Elvis's tank. It's about 5 months old now and the layout has been changed a bit plus some plants have died, some added and some have REALLY taken off :D Elvis is still kicking and ruling over his kingdom and over his assorted squires :p which now consists of shrimp, mystery snails and nerite snails (the floating container on the surface is a few more that I'm currently acclimating)
View attachment 107186View attachment 107187
Hope everyone has been staying safe and with all the craziness going on, sitting back and enjoying their tanks :)
Beautiful Tank!! That is one Spoiled Betta!! :)

Most reactions

Back