400 Gallon Reef

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: oh my i can see why you had to replace the tank then.
little boys are great arnt they (got 2 myself) just wait till he starts to dismantle stuff with the pliers lol, thats what our youngest does.
we have to hide stuff like that from him still & hes 10 in december
my 3 girls never did anything like that.
right enough waffle from me lol
i would love to be able to do something like your tank as it is stunning :good: :hyper: :wub:

I have a tank of pretty much similar dimensions to you and was wondering how on earth you manage to convert it to a reef I have a small 55g reef and my 400g is for fw preds. But I was sitting down with the wife beofre I saw this post and said could you imagine the initial cost of setting this up as a reef Lr for one and then the running costs food water salt etc. So do you have a secret about how you set this up or do you just have a bloody good job or won the lottery. Also how do you do water changes as I guess you must change about 200ltrs of water weekly where do you keep that mixed with salt????

Hi,

I used to have 2 * 150 gallons VATs in my garage for water changes and automated the entire task, ie one vat had fresh mix and one was empty. I would switch some taps which would simultaneously empty the new mix and fill the empty VAT with old tank water. However since I had to use the VATS in my conservatory for holding my stock in the emergency I haven't had time or the effort to re-build the water change system. Also I'm now into Motorcycle track days and the garage has my bike and a trailer also sharing space.

So now I have a 20 gallon tank for water changes, I can change 20 gallons every day if I want and do sometimes for about a week (so 7 changes) which is about 35% ish in total. But then like now that last weekly change routine was about 2 months ago...not changed any water since then. I do have to top up about 2 gallons of evap per day. I might go for another week of changes soon, not for aqny reason other than I can and it must have some form of positive effect.

Money...hell no....I'm far from rich....way to much money goes into this but then I've had big tanks for about 5 years now, so alot of my rock and equipment has been built up over a long period of time. My current electric bill (uk is expensive) is £220 per month ($400+ us dollars).

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Craig

Omg £220 pm that is a lot for leccy! I think mines circa £120 and i'm never happy when i get the statement through.

Hi,

I used to have 2 * 150 gallons VATs in my garage for water changes and automated the entire task, ie one vat had fresh mix and one was empty. I would switch some taps which would simultaneously empty the new mix and fill the empty VAT with old tank water. However since I had to use the VATS in my conservatory for holding my stock in the emergency I haven't had time or the effort to re-build the water change system. Also I'm now into Motorcycle track days and the garage has my bike and a trailer also sharing space.

So now I have a 20 gallon tank for water changes, I can change 20 gallons every day if I want and do sometimes for about a week (so 7 changes) which is about 35% ish in total. But then like now that last weekly change routine was about 2 months ago...not changed any water since then. I do have to top up about 2 gallons of evap per day. I might go for another week of changes soon, not for aqny reason other than I can and it must have some form of positive effect.

Money...hell no....I'm far from rich....way to much money goes into this but then I've had big tanks for about 5 years now, so alot of my rock and equipment has been built up over a long period of time. My current electric bill (uk is expensive) is £220 per month ($400+ us dollars).

Thanks for the kind comments all.

Craig

My Sun coral collection has been expanded as they are being banned by Cites over here in the UK, so I had to buy another 8 before that happens.

IMG_5072.jpg

Craig

Most reactions

Back