40 Breeder Stocking/ Equipment

Jay667

Reaction score
I’ll be getting a 40 breeder in the next couple of months and wanted to share my plans / stocking.

Stocking:
8 Emerald Corydora
8 Cherry Barb 4 M 4 F
8 Praecox rainbows 4 M 4 F
4 Otos
1 Flame DG
1 Pair of apisto
Are there any possible issues with this stocking?
I’d also might add fish as I go along , maybe some tetras or rasboras.

I’d like to have it low tech planted with vals, swords , ferns, crypts, anubias, etc.

Low-Medium light with root tabs, should I run with sand or gravel?
Finally, I plan on having hob filters , simply because they’re easier to handle (clean, maintain)
I was thinking two ac70s , I’m open to suggestion. Thanks!!

I run a 60 with only one AC70. I have a AC110 available if I need it but found it generated too much current for my fish. I found my plants did better with aquarium soil, but we are not talking about a massive difference. If you go with sand I would avoid Seachem Flourite with the corys, it erodes their barbs, sand can be hard on the filters if it ever gets into the impeller assembly. Stocking seems high but I don't know much about the fish you list except the corys.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

---------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

---------------------
Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and any of their colour forms (flame red) because they regularly carry the gourami Iridovirus and or Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be treated and will remain in your tank until you scrap it and disinfect it.

If you want to breed the Apistogrammas, get rid of most of the other fishes because they will eat the baby cichlids.

Don't add Otocinclus to new tanks. They need algae, driftwood and biofilm the algae and biofilm takes a while to develop. If you add suckermouth catfish to a new tank, they usually starve to death. Wait at least a couple of months before adding them (assuming the water chemistry is suitable for them).

i think you should go with sand it is good for cories. my cories live in hard water above 150ghppm and they are fine. maybe because they are from local fish store...

I run a 60 with only one AC70. I have a AC110 available if I need it but found it generated too much current for my fish. I found my plants did better with aquarium soil, but we are not talking about a massive difference. If you go with sand I would avoid Seachem Flourite with the corys, it erodes their barbs, sand can be hard on the filters if it ever gets into the impeller assembly. Stocking seems high but I don't know much about the fish you list except the corys.
Should I go with the ac 70? Or two ac 50s? I’m thinking just regular play sand for the substrate . The stock is a little bit on the high side but with and established tank it’s nothing to be concerned about with weekly water changes .

i think you should go with sand it is good for cories. my cories live in hard water above 150ghppm and they are fine. maybe because they are from local fish store...
I was planning on sand , would swords and val work with this substrate ? And root tabs of course

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

---------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

---------------------
Avoid dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and any of their colour forms (flame red) because they regularly carry the gourami Iridovirus and or Tuberculosis (TB), neither of which can be treated and will remain in your tank until you scrap it and disinfect it.

If you want to breed the Apistogrammas, get rid of most of the other fishes because they will eat the baby cichlids.

Don't add Otocinclus to new tanks. They need algae, driftwood and biofilm the algae and biofilm takes a while to develop. If you add suckermouth catfish to a new tank, they usually starve to death. Wait at least a couple of months before adding them (assuming the water chemistry is suitable for them).
Tank will be a 40 breeder, so roughly 36”x17”x17. I failed to mention I’m keeping a smaller version of this stock already in a 20 long. I’ve had 3 praecox, 3 cherry barbs, the dwarf gourami, otos, and a school of corys for months now with no problems whatsoever . I would be able to feed the otos blanched cucumber in the new tank as I already do. I could also add the driftwood thats in the 20. I’d pretty much only be increasing the stock of my current fish and adding a pair of apisto. If I want to breed , I could get fry out and raise them in the established 20 gallon . I have multiple filters on the 20 , so I could seed the cycle for the 40.

The previous configuration of one of my tanks was with pool filter sand. I didn't like the color but the plants, swords and vals included, grew surprisingly well, though it was clear by the root growth of the swords that they depended on the root tabs. Sand would be an easier substrate for keeping the tank clean.

The previous configuration of one of my tanks was with pool filter sand. I didn't like the color but the plants, swords and vals included, grew surprisingly well, though it was clear by the root growth of the swords that they depended on the root tabs. Sand would be an easier substrate for keeping the tank clean.
Yeah I’ve had problems with sand getting into the impeller before as well. And I’ve only really grown anything in gravel. Sand just looks way more natural. It’s going to be a tough decision. Thanks for your input I’ll take it into consideration.

Sand over gravel, every time...sand holds nutrients, gravel holds gunk...corys do MUCH better with sand

Most reactions

Back