4 Male guppies together?

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi! I really want to keep guppies, and I am thinking about putting 4 Male guppies in a 5.5 planted tank with hard scape and lots of live plants, maybe some shrimp. There would be plenty hiding spots on the tank. I have done tons of research and some people said it's ok, some people have said they will nonstop fight each other. I don't want to have females since I don't want fry, and the males are so pretty. Any thoughts?

I've had up to 5 males together. It's worked pretty well. I've had some fish that got bullied and stopped eating and died. At the moment I have 3 and they are completely peaceful.

Never tried it with a five gallon tank. We currently have five or ten (lost count) male feeder guppies in a thinly planted 10g, and they don't school but seem to enjoy each other's company.

Hi! I really want to keep guppies, and I am thinking about putting 4 Male guppies in a 5.5 planted tank with hard scape and lots of live plants, maybe some shrimp. There would be plenty hiding spots on the tank. I have done tons of research and some people said it's ok, some people have said they will nonstop fight each other. I don't want to have females since I don't want fry, and the males are so pretty. Any thoughts?
Hello. The tank is really too small. Not so much for the fish having enough room, but the tank will be difficult to keep clean. The water chemistry will constantly be changing and that won't be good for the fish. But, you're the one in charge.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

In general, keeping an all male guppy tank won't be a problem.
Yes, sometimes it can happen that a hierarchy is developing but that's a temporary thing. But most of the time, they'll be good together. And if they flare their fins towards eachother, that's not fighting but just impressing eachother.

Hello. The tank is really too small. Not so much for the fish having enough room, but the tank will be difficult to keep clean. The water chemistry will constantly be changing and that won't be good for the fish. But, you're the one in charge.

10 Tanks (Now

10 Tanks (Now 11)
I disagree with this. If you set it up correctly and do your maintenance, there's no reason a 5g can't be stable and successful.

It's better to have it put like this:
A smaller environment "can" (so, doesn't have to) create more fluctuations than when fish are kept in a larger environment.

I disagree with this. If you set it up correctly and do your maintenance, there's no reason a 5g can't be stable and success
I currently have 2 Betta tanks, one 3 gallon and one 5 gallon, the 5 gallon with a few neons in it, so I would just do weekly water changes and gravel vac to keep the ammonia and nitrate down.

Most reactions

Back