3D Background... What Can I Put Behind It?

sammy86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 3d aquareef canyon background in my 110 litre tank. I need to fill the cavaties at the back with something to reduce the space. mainly due to the fact my cameroon shrimp keeps climbing over and getting stuck there!

i also have a steel grid which is allowing in the waterflow..which teeny baby shrimp can swim through.

I was thinking of packing the back with sand, would this be a bad idea? i didnt know if it would make the tank to heavy, or if the sand can go stagnent and poison the water?

If you cant easily seal it with a bead of silicone around the edge, i'd just consider removing it.

I was going to suggest siliconing it to a sheet of glass or something if you can't silicone it directly to the tank. You'd still likely need to pack it with something though or it may float.

I've never had a 3D background so don't really know, but would it look silly it you attached it to the outer side of the glass?

It is siliconed to the tank - however it has gaps in the back where the rocks stick out - i'm not removing it, i only bought it/put it in last friday!

I don't think sand would work very well. Cut up pond sponge filter sheets would do the job though.

if you look at theones on ebeay tyey have mesh siliconed onto the sides so fish dont go down the back if i knew how to send links i would but dont have a clue.

I looked at the ones made by aquamaniacs and they show a video of there product.

I dont know if this is any help as i dont have one myself i am currently looking to buy one myself but im still saving up the £130 it will cost

I don't think sand would work very well. Cut up pond sponge filter sheets would do the job though.​

This would work. If you got the big roll of white polishing pad materials (can find it on eBay cheap) then you could place that in the back. Have you got your heater, filter inlet/outlet behind the 3D wall? If you do sand would clog it up and mean you can't remove easily for maintenance.

The white pad material is soft and can be easily cut to suit to be placed into position. Instead of doing the whole of the back you could also just place it along the sides and base where the shrimp could get in. Also make sure any inlet/outlet holes in the background have the pad pushed in too. This would keep the large spaces in the back safe for you to put your equipment in still so that it is hidden out of sight.

I keep wanting to do this for my tank but with the cost of one and not seeing it in person I have yet to take the plunge and buy one.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Most reactions

Back