36 Gallon Angelfish Advice Please

Byron said:

As for the lighting I have no idea. I do remember it being a very moderate light though. Like i said I'm fixing up an older tank, so I was most likely going to buy a new lighting setup and most likely a new filter too.

We may be able to save you a lot of money, as lighting fixtures are not inexpensive.  The present one maybe fine with a new tube/bulb.  As to the type, does it take incandescent (screw-in) bulbs, or a fluorescent tube?  Or something else?  If there is a tube/bulb in, there may be some data printed on one end of the tube or on the bulb stem, let me know what that says if there is.

As for aquascape I don't really have anything yet besides gravel I was trying to figure out what fish i wanted then buy/build according to what they need.

This is a perfect approach.  So many build an aquascape they want, without regard for the fish that have to "live" with it.  And many fish have specific needs, according to their natural habitats.

First, I would suggest sand for the substrate, as this is something that substrate fish need, and it is a very natural substrate in appearance.  Ordinary play sand from Home Depot or Lowe's works fine, I use this in all my 7 tanks, Quikrete Play Sand.  You want to avoid white at all cost, and play sand is usually a mix of dark tones.  Plus it is very smooth, so no problem for fish.  And plants grow fine in sand.

Wood chunks representing tree roots, trunks, and branches will be good for any of the soft water fish.  You can buy wood in fish stores, and though not inexpensive it is usually safe.  I like the very dark Malaysian Driftwood.  Some of the lighter woods can carry toxic fungus.

That's really sad about the dwarf gourami i really liked the ones I saw. I think I might steer clear of the glass catfish for now. There were some Opaline Gourami I was looking at too. How would they do?

The Opaline is a real risk, as this is one of the most aggressive of the gourami.  The species is Trichopodus trichopterus, and it occurs in several varieties like the Opaline, Blue, Gold, Cosby, Three-Spot.  Regardless of the variety, the species is the same which means temperament and behaviours are identical.  This fish attains six inches, though aquarium fish tend to max out around 4 to 5 inches, but that is still a size to be reckoned with when one is dealing with somewhat a feisty fish; I have seen this fish easily eat neon tetra, which tells you that having it in this tank immediately restricts many other fish species.

If you're set on a lovely gourami for a centrepiece, I would suggest looking at the beautiful Pearl Gourami, Trichopodus leerii.  Although a species in the same genus, this one by comparison is a pussycat...though cats can be rough at times 
yes.gif
 .  A gourami is a gourami, but this species tends to be much more compatible in a community tank.  At just under five inches, a group of 3 would be lovely, with one male and the rest female.  I wouldn't go beyond this, assuming your 36g dimensions given previously...30x12x23 inches...I know the 30 is the length, but is the vertical height the 23?

The Pearls would be fine with the previously-mentioned rasbora, ideal in fact, and there are other similarly-sized rasbora that would work.  Or some of the quieter tetra.  And corys are still OK for the lower level.

Byron.

Thanks for all the advice. Once I get home I'll let you know about the lighting fixture. I'm not set on gourami just yet I'm going to another pet shop now to see what they've got but the other pet shop the only thing they really had that I liked were the gourami. Once again i appreciate all the help so much. I'll keep you posted xD

You need to remember that most fish won't look at their best in a small tank in a store. I recently bought a shoal of silvertips as dither fish. I was amazed how good they looked after a couple of weeks in a planted tank. The males in particular are quite spectacular.

Byron said:

As for the lighting I have no idea. I do remember it being a very moderate light though. Like i said I'm fixing up an older tank, so I was most likely going to buy a new lighting setup and most likely a new filter too.

We may be able to save you a lot of money, as lighting fixtures are not inexpensive.  The present one maybe fine with a new tube/bulb.  As to the type, does it take incandescent (screw-in) bulbs, or a fluorescent tube?  Or something else?  If there is a tube/bulb in, there may be some data printed on one end of the tube or on the bulb stem, let me know what that says if there is.

As for aquascape I don't really have anything yet besides gravel I was trying to figure out what fish i wanted then buy/build according to what they need.

This is a perfect approach.  So many build an aquascape they want, without regard for the fish that have to "live" with it.  And many fish have specific needs, according to their natural habitats.

First, I would suggest sand for the substrate, as this is something that substrate fish need, and it is a very natural substrate in appearance.  Ordinary play sand from Home Depot or Lowe's works fine, I use this in all my 7 tanks, Quikrete Play Sand.  You want to avoid white at all cost, and play sand is usually a mix of dark tones.  Plus it is very smooth, so no problem for fish.  And plants grow fine in sand.

Wood chunks representing tree roots, trunks, and branches will be good for any of the soft water fish.  You can buy wood in fish stores, and though not inexpensive it is usually safe.  I like the very dark Malaysian Driftwood.  Some of the lighter woods can carry toxic fungus.

That's really sad about the dwarf gourami i really liked the ones I saw. I think I might steer clear of the glass catfish for now. There were some Opaline Gourami I was looking at too. How would they do?

The Opaline is a real risk, as this is one of the most aggressive of the gourami.  The species is Trichopodus trichopterus, and it occurs in several varieties like the Opaline, Blue, Gold, Cosby, Three-Spot.  Regardless of the variety, the species is the same which means temperament and behaviours are identical.  This fish attains six inches, though aquarium fish tend to max out around 4 to 5 inches, but that is still a size to be reckoned with when one is dealing with somewhat a feisty fish; I have seen this fish easily eat neon tetra, which tells you that having it in this tank immediately restricts many other fish species.

If you're set on a lovely gourami for a centrepiece, I would suggest looking at the beautiful Pearl Gourami, Trichopodus leerii.  Although a species in the same genus, this one by comparison is a pussycat...though cats can be rough at times 
yes.gif
 .  A gourami is a gourami, but this species tends to be much more compatible in a community tank.  At just under five inches, a group of 3 would be lovely, with one male and the rest female.  I wouldn't go beyond this, assuming your 36g dimensions given previously...30x12x23 inches...I know the 30 is the length, but is the vertical height the 23?

The Pearls would be fine with the previously-mentioned rasbora, ideal in fact, and there are other similarly-sized rasbora that would work.  Or some of the quieter tetra.  And corys are still OK for the lower levelOn

Once again another resurrection. I came down with a terrible sickness and just finally got rid of it. Anyways the bulb was a fluorescent bulb and reads " Verilux Full Spectrum F20T12VLX" I found one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Verilux-F20T12VLX-Spectrum-Instant-Fluorescent/dp/B000P4SZSA
As for the fish I think I have decided I do want gourami. I'm unsure of which one and will probably figure it out once I get the tank up and going. So with that info any recommendation on plants/new or better bulbs? Also, should I buy all the fish at once or start with a few? If so should i start with the gourami or some of the others?

Anyways the bulb was a fluorescent bulb and reads " Verilux Full Spectrum F20T12VLX" I found one on amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000P4SZSA  
As for the fish I think I have decided I do want gourami. I'm unsure of which one and will probably figure it out once I get the tank up and going. So with that info any recommendation on plants/new or better bulbs? Also, should I buy all the fish at once or start with a few? If so should i start with the gourami or some of the others?

That tube should be good as far as spectrum.  I assume this is over the 36g tank (not the 55g).  So the fixture is regular fluorescent, taking a 24-inch tube.  This is the same as my 39g.

First thing, tubes do wear out.  As they burn, the intensity they emit reduces, quite a bit, and they must be replaced before they actually burn out (by which time they would be useless and good for nothing but algae).  T12 is the older type of regular fluorescent, and manufacturers have mainly moved to T8 which will fit the fixture and produce better light for less energy.  The T12 are weaker compared to the newer T8, and the T12 almost certainly is past its prime now.

If plants are intended, there are two tubes I would recommend.  This 24-inch tube is going to provide low to moderate light, but it is doable with a good tube.  Hagen's Life-Glo is the tube I use over my single-tube tanks.  Another much the same is ZooMed's UltraSun.  Either of these in the 24-inch length in T8 will work.

For plants, floating are almost mandatory with gourami.  Water Sprite is ideal here.  Lower plants will receive less light, but there are some that will work.  The pygmy chain swords are one.  Crypts will manage with this light, but crypts are not the easiest of plants for beginners.

Now to the fish questions.  Once the tank is planted, you can introduce a few fish.  I would leave the gourami until last, as this is the territorial fish and generally they accept other tankmates better if the other fish are already in the environment.  Obviously, as we've been discussing previously, only some gourami will work here.

Suitable fish for gourami are many of the medium-sized rasbora like the Harlequin, Trigonostigma heteromorpha, or its close relatives Trigonostigma hengeli (my personal favourite) or T. eques.  These will need a group of 8-10, which ever of the three species.  There are some other rasbora species similarly sized.  Rasboras are quiet fish, not active swimmers, so they make good tankmates for gourami.  Active swimming fish are not good with sedate gourami, and the latter can be seriously stressed.  There are also some of the less active tetras that can work.  One just has to avoid any species that is even slightly disposed to nipping fins.

I would want to know the specific gourami before suggesting species more than the above.  As for the substrate level, the corys would work best; also shoaliong fish, so a group of 9-12.  Most loaches become too large and get a bit aggressive in a smallish space.

Byron.

Byron said:
Anyways the bulb was a fluorescent bulb and reads " Verilux Full Spectrum F20T12VLX" I found one on amazon: http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B000P4SZSA  

That tube should be good as far as spectrum.  I assume this is over the 36g tank (not the 55g).  So the fixture is regular fluorescent, taking a 24-inch tube.  This is the same as my 39g.

First thing, tubes do wear out.  As they burn, the intensity they emit reduces, quite a bit, and they must be replaced before they actually burn out (by which time they would be useless and good for nothing but algae).  T12 is the older type of regular fluorescent, and manufacturers have mainly moved to T8 which will fit the fixture and produce better light for less energy.  The T12 are weaker compared to the newer T8, and the T12 almost certainly is past its prime now.

If plants are intended, there are two tubes I would recommend.  This 24-inch tube is going to provide low to moderate light, but it is doable with a good tube.  Hagen's Life-Glo is the tube I use over my single-tube tanks.  Another much the same is ZooMed's UltraSun.  Either of these in the 24-inch length in T8 will work.

For plants, floating are almost mandatory with gourami.  Water Sprite is ideal here.  Lower plants will receive less light, but there are some that will work.  The pygmy chain swords are one.  Crypts will manage with this light, but crypts are not the easiest of plants for beginners.

Now to the fish questions.  Once the tank is planted, you can introduce a few fish.  I would leave the gourami until last, as this is the territorial fish and generally they accept other tankmates better if the other fish are already in the environment.  Obviously, as we've been discussing previously, only some gourami will work here.

Suitable fish for gourami are many of the medium-sized rasbora like the Harlequin, Trigonostigma heteromorpha, or its close relatives Trigonostigma hengeli (my personal favourite) or T. eques.  These will need a group of 8-10, which ever of the three species.  There are some other rasbora species similarly sized.  Rasboras are quiet fish, not active swimmers, so they make good tankmates for gourami.  Active swimming fish are not good with sedate gourami, and the latter can be seriously stressed.  There are also some of the less active tetras that can work.  One just has to avoid any species that is even slightly disposed to nipping fins.

I would want to know the specific gourami before suggesting species more than the above.  As for the substrate level, the corys would work best; also shoaliong fish, so a group of 9-12.  Most loaches become too large and get a bit aggressive in a smallish space.

Byron.

Alright I'll order one of those bulbs in the next few days and I'm gonna go trade my gravel for sand. I've got an idea of how I'm gonna decorate but I don't have the cash to pull the trigger. Then I'll work on getting it planted. As for fish I REALLY LIKE the opaline gourami. I also really like the dwarf gourami. I can't really find any other fish nearby that I like besides sharks (as a centerpiece anyways.)

The problem with sharks is their temperament.  While individual fish do vary, the species in general tend to be very territorial and thus one of these (and there is no room in this tank for more than one) will limit your options for other fish.  Substrate fish will obviously be out with one of these, and some sharks take a dislike to upper fish.  To put it plainly, you will probably be getting a bully.  There are some loaches that would do nicely (the smaller species, as these are shoaling fish needing a group of five or six), and corys.  Thinking here of substrate-level fish.

The opaline gourami will also significantly limit upper fish, as I think has already been mentioned; these can be downright nasty sometimes.  The dwarf I would not risk (disease) unless you get them from the breeder.

There are many more fish available than what you may see locally.  Over a year, many different species will likely turn up in local stores.  Having made the mistake myself, do not be quick to get "what is available" and then later wish you had waited for something else that becomes available but can't be acquired because of the earlier acquisition.

Byron said:
The problem with sharks is their temperament.  While individual fish do vary, the species in general tend to be very territorial and thus one of these (and there is no room in this tank for more than one) will limit your options for other fish.  Substrate fish will obviously be out with one of these, and some sharks take a dislike to upper fish.  To put it plainly, you will probably be getting a bully.  There are some loaches that would do nicely (the smaller species, as these are shoaling fish needing a group of five or six), and corys.  Thinking here of substrate-level fish.

The opaline gourami will also significantly limit upper fish, as I think has already been mentioned; these can be downright nasty sometimes.  The dwarf I would not risk (disease) unless you get them from the breeder.

There are many more fish available than what you may see locally.  Over a year, many different species will likely turn up in local stores.  Having made the mistake myself, do not be quick to get "what is available" and then later wish you had waited for something else that becomes available but can't be acquired because of the earlier acquisition.
Yeah I'll probably just try to get some general decor and maybe a plant or two and just wait and see what comes around. Thanks again for all the help!!

Most reactions

Back